Conducts health education classes using basic to moderately difficult or varied curriculum designed for the improvement of health of Kaiser members and non-members. May conduct classes of various health related topics.
- Teaches and models self-management skills, concepts, resources and tools related to health, lifestyle change and behavior modification to class participants.
- Assists participants in developing specific behavioral goals.
- Provides individual instruction and counseling as needed.
- Assesses needs of class participants and modifies class content or teaching methods to meet those needs.
- Applies evidence-based education techniques in teaching methods.
- Answers questions and provides class participants with appropriate resources of information.
- Arranges and coordinates room set-up, availability of materials and audio/visual equipment.
- Maintains records of training activities including attendance rosters, homework assignments, class evaluations and timesheets or phone TIME system.
- Administers and collects class evaluation forms and class fees.
- Conducts follow-up phones calls to participants including those who missed sessions to determine reason for absence, monitor progress of participants and answer related questions.
- Completes required continuous training and education such as those related to workplace safety, legal and regulatory compliance, accreditation and licenser requirements and department specific requirements.
- Maintains and promotes knowledge and utilization of resources related to health, lifestyle change and behavior modification offered by Kaiser Permanente and through the community.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience teaching classes or conducting training programs.
- Bachelor's degree OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field to field of course instruction.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Licensed or professional credentials or certification in the field as appropriate to the course instruction.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function independently and exercise professional judgment.
- Demonstrated skills in teaching techniques and presentation.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and facilitate diverse groups of people with understanding of group dynamics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult learning theory and group process.
- Basic knowledge of health concepts, preventive health care and behavior change.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.