The Health Educator is responsible to assess, plan, design and implement health education interventions that encourage good health, promote wellness and prevents disease. The health educator works alongside medical and other service providers to teach patients how to make good health decisions, incorporate healthy activities into their lives, avoid harmful behaviors and must have an understanding of the disease process and the various chronic conditions that affect the diverse population served by CBHA. The Health Educator is also responsible for developing, coordinating, and disseminating patient education information/materials and providing outreach to the community.
At Columbia Basin Health Association (CBHA) we never have to wonder whether the work we do is worthwhile. Each day we see victories and successes, big and small, in the lives of people who count on us.
Partner with Columbia Basin Health Association (CBHA) for a rewarding career. Your dream to promote health and wellness, work with passionate people, and feel accomplished for doing important work while earning a reasonable paycheck is possible with us. Be a part of a healthcare movement as you grow your career. The size and culture of the organization provides an opportunity to work closely with leadership, lead initiatives, and see the results of your hard work. You ability to make an impact is limited only by your passion and creativity.
- Assess patient needs for health education including information on their diagnosis, treatment and change readiness.
- Provide interventions/strategies for patients to successfully manage their condition(s), stay healthy and promote wellness.
- Conduct health education and other care management activities with patients and their families who are referred by medical providers for a variety of conditions such as hypertension, cholesterol, diabetes and diabetes management, weight loss, family planning, as well as other conditions.
- Coordinate and organize events such as health fairs, health screenings, health education presentations or classes, and provide outreach to the community to promote topics of wellness and prevention.
- Serve as a health education resource for clinical, outreach, and other professional staff within the clinic as well as in the community. This may include but is not limited to providing presentations, organizing health screenings and/or health fairs, being a central point of contact for education materials and other tools that encourage healthy decisions and lifestyles.
- Maintain records that document interventions provided in accordance with program requirements and guidelines.
- Effectively manage caseload by providing timely interventions, providing quality services, achieving positive outcomes, and maintaining productivity levels.
- Travel to perform work duties at the various CBHA sites, home visits, or other work related activities.
- Promotes a positive work culture and upholds clinic policies and procedures, including the WE CARE standards of Behavior.
- Must uphold confidentiality at all times in regards to CBHA activities, reports, financials, patient health information and other proprietary information specific to CBHA.
- Other duties as assigned.
Professional and Technical Knowledge:
- Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in health education, public health, or related field and 2 years of experience in health education or possess qualifying experience in a healthcare related field to be able to provide interventions as a Health Educator.
- Ability to prepare basic correspondence and simple reports in Microsoft Word.
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel to create tables and simple displays of information.
- Ability to create basic presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Ability to perform basic e-mail functions using Outlook.
- Ability to enter and manage data into a centralized electronic health records.
- Job duties require the employee to effectively communicate their opinions and extrapolations of information they collect and synthesize/analyze.
- Employees are expected to exercise tact and diplomacy in the resolution of mild conflict or disagreements.
- Job duties require the compilation and analysis of information prepared in effective written form, including correspondence, reports, articles, or other documentation.
- Duties involve convincing others to take actions, or to behave in a specific way desired by the employee.
- Proficiency in speaking, reading, writing and translating both English and Spanish.