Men’s Health Foundation connects men at risk to comprehensive healthcare and wellness through education, collaboration and advocacy, inspiring and empowering all men to live longer, healthier and happier lives. We see a world where inequity and stigma do not separate men from healthcare. At Men’s Health Foundation we are reimagining men’s healthcare.
The Health Information Management (HIM) Specialist reports to the Clinic Operations Manager and performs a variety of tasks associated with the collecting, analyzing and indexing of patient care documentation in the medical record. Application of knowledge includes the process to store, retrieve, review, analyze, and process health-related information. The incumbent in this position is required to be well versed with varying State, Federal, regulatory and accreditation requirements. Incumbents must document HIM activities following applicable guidelines and regulations. The incumbent may work closely with both internal and external customers including clinicians, staff, vendors and patients.
The Health Information Specialist is responsible for complex operations including indexing of all documents received electronically, obtaining documentation from third party portals and communicating with third party vendors, reviewing reports and completing basic document corrections. The incumbent will work with newer staff and assist with training and basic auditing functions.
The incumbent will be self-motivated and prioritize work tasks among various work queues based on HIM turnaround times and established priorities. The incumbent routinely provides telephonic and personal assistance to internal and external customers. The Health Information Management Specialist must consistently demonstrate superior people and customer service skills and a commitment to the unique needs and requirements of a diverse staff of professional caregivers and patients.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
- Processes medical referrals to outside providers per recommendation; tracks and receives medical records from outside providers when referral is completed; guides patient through referral process; schedules follow up appointments as necessary.
- Gathers patient information by interacting with patient registration areas and physicians' offices; retrieves information from automated printer, faxes, and phone calls.
- Maintains patient records; organizes and reviews recommendations; corrects and communicates problems according to established procedures.
- Initiates the medical record by creating and processing the patient care record folder.
- Prepares new patient charts; gathers documents and information from paper sources and/or electronic health record.
- Ensures medical records are assembled in standard order and are accurate and complete.
- Delivers charts to assigned areas of the practice by following established routing procedures.
- Maintains quality results by following organizations standards.
- Maintains continuity of work operations by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Maintains patient confidence by keeping patient records information confidential.
- Serves and protects the clinic by adhering to professional standards, organizational policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and HIPAA standards.
- Enhances the organization’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments; promotes customer service excellence.
- Retrieves medical records from offsite chart storage facilities when needed.
- Performs other clerical tasks as needed, such as answering phones, faxing, and patient check in and out; supports other departments as needed per operational necessity.
- Other duties may be assigned, as required.
- Superior organizational skill.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Knowledge and skill in the use of scanner, fax, and electronic health record technology
- Knowledge of HIPAA medical privacy regulations and practices
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work as part of a health care team
- Able to respond to requests in a fast-paced environment
- Have the appropriate level of behavioral maturity and patience in handling a variety of patients.
- Have diplomacy and tact in handling difficult and irate patients.
- Ability to work effectively with men and transgender women of diverse races, ethnicities, ages, and sexual orientation in a multicultural environment.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test as well as a background check to include a 7-year criminal, 10-year SSN & employer history reference check
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Must be able to work flexible schedules
- Must take yearly flu shot and test for tuberculosis as required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Manager of Health Information Management