GFA International, Inc. is currently seeking a part-time Health and Safety Inspector.
GFA is a full-service engineering consulting firm specializing in geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, construction materials testing, building inspections and environmental health & safety consulting. Our clients include contractors, developers, owners, engineers, architects, state and local governments, school boards, departments of transportation, universities, banks, and realtors.
The part-time Health and Safety Consultant provides on-site safety consultant and inspections in Construction, General Industry and Maritime settings; develops safety and health programs and coordinates safety training programs; monitors safety and health regulations; and provides technical support to clients to ensure compliance with federal and state safety and health regulations.
Works under the supervision of the Director of the EHS Department.
- Performs site visits of GFA client sites which may include Construction, General Industry or Maritime industries. Most client sites will likely be located on the east coast of Florida but sites may be located throughout Florida.
- Provides technical safety and health support and information.
- Supports affected clients in the selection of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Understands federal and state occupational safety and health regulations and monitors regulatory changes as they occur. Emphasis on Construction Industry regulations necessary.
- Advises staff of regulatory changes with which each office must comply.
- Reviews client injury/illness and non-injury incident investigation reports and follows up as necessary.
- Develops remedial corrective actions and document preventative procedures and policies that are communicated to employees.
- Conducts weekly Project Safety Meetings.
- Prepares and implements Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) for project specific tasks
- Provides necessary training to employees in accordance with OSHA regulations.
- Conducts accident and injury investigations and completes required reports/forms.
- Communicates with Project Management regarding compliance and safety including feedback to management relative to job site compliance.
- Monitors all heavy industrial construction work for compliance with safety requirements.
- Must be willing to travel to/from project sites across Florida as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- Must have knowledge and experience in the health and safety regulations impacting the Construction Industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in a safety science, engineering or industrial hygiene discipline, or occupational safety management. Extensive experience may substitute.
- Certificate in safety (ASP, CHST, etc.) desired, but not required. Ability and desire to achieve safety certifications within the year a plus.
Communication: must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, outstanding interpersonal skills, and the ability to convey the company’s safety message in a positive and effective manner.
Regulatory: must possess a broad and intimate knowledge of OSHA, EPA, and other regulatory requirements. Emphasis on regulations pertaining to the Construction Industry needed.
Computer/Technical: must be proficient in Excel and Word and must be able to leverage Excel and other technologies to perform data analytics and query operations.
Collaboration: must be team-oriented and able to work effectively with all departments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This job requires time in the field, usually construction sites, and in the office. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Travel to and from job sites is required. Most job sites are located in Florida and travel is typically during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected. Must have an excellent driving record.
Supporting our Team
GFA recognizes there is more to life than work. Quality of life is very important to us, and that’s why we encourage all of our employees to have a solid work-life balance. We support our employees by offering a teamwork environment, opportunities for professional growth, competitive wages, and a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Medical/Rx, Dental, & Vision Insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Various Types of Supplemental Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings with Company Matching Contributions
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation and Personal Time Off
- Legal & Identity Shield
Perks & Professional Development
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Wellness Activities
- Company Sponsored Events
- Reimbursement for Certifications and Professional Licensure
- Support for Participation in Continuing Education such as Workshops, Seminars, and Conferences
- Lunch and Learn Programs
- Paid Professional Association Memberships
GFA International is a Drug Free Work Place and an Equal Opportunity Employer. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
We encourage you to fully complete the application and attach a resume to have your best chance of consideration.