Livonia Public Schools is seeking a highly qualified health sciences teacher who will be able to develop career skills and academic instruction for his/her students. The teacher will identify and implement best practices in instruction and student achievement. The teacher will motivate each student to acquire knowledge and career interests in health sciences related fields, skills in problem solving, and to discover and develop special talents of students in the health sciences.DISTRICT OVERVIEW
Livonia Public Schools employs approximately 1,900 staff members, serving approximately 14,000 students pre K-post secondary. There are 15 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, 3 high schools, 1 career technical center, 1 early childhood center and 1 vocational and transition center in the School District. The annual budget for Livonia Public Schools is $155 million, with a state funding of $8,529 per pupil. JOB DESCRIPTION
The health sciences education position could be a combination teaching assignment of pre-nursing/pre-medicine and medical occupations. The instructor will be responsible for three, ninety minute classes designed to instruct eleventh and twelfth grade students. Curriculum is aligned with the 12 segments developed by the Michigan Department of Education Office of Career and Technical Education.
Pre-nursing/pre-medicine will provide instruction compatible with the Segments of the Health Science Core Curriculum, which includes, Anatomy & Physiology, Pathophysiology, Medical math Written & Verbal Communication, Public & Governmental Healthcare Systems, Employability skills, Medical legal & Ethical Concerns, Infections Control, Personal & Environmental Safety, teamwork, Health Maintenance, First aid and Vital Signs. Must be certified instructor of American Heart Association CPR/AED Healthcare Provider or able to obtain certification by December of year hired. Must be able to provide instruction and demonstration on EKG’s, Pharmacology, injections and phlebotomy. Must be able to work cooperatively with other instructors to effectively deliver the curriculum to all health science students at the Career Technical Center. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Instruct students in performing skills appropriate to entry level healthcare providers.
- Teach medical terminology and basic anatomy and physiology.
- Instruct students in health care ethics, policies, and relationships.
- Work with and maintain an advisory committee for the course that includes representatives from medical industries.
- Continually modify the instructional program to the skills needed by students to successfully enter this occupation.
- Maintain updated information and knowledge for improvement and modification in the professional standards, techniques, and processes used in this occupation.
- Develop course content in a performance objective format and organize instruction so that students can build increments of skill development.
- Design alternate and reinforcement experiences that allow for a variety of learning styles.
- Provide students with a thorough understanding of the opportunities available for continuing their education in the medical field.
- Plan appropriate field trips for on-site visits to facilities employing medical office assistants.
- Participate in school wide Advanced Ed/school improvement activities.
- Responsible for the recruitment of students to the program.
- Responsible for providing leadership activities or participate in CTSO as prescribed by the State Ed Department of Career Development.
- Ability to integrate math into curriculum.
- Align and develop curriculum as required by the Michigan Department of Education.
- Maintain TRAC documents
- Executes other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by building administrator
The following is a list of minimum qualifications for this position, any one of which may be waived by the Administration in exercising its prerogative to determine qualifications.
- Bachelor's Degree*, or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Michigan Teaching Certificate preferred*.
- Must have two years of recent and relevant work experience in the medical field or have completed a planned equivalent program of supervised occupational experience approved by State Department of Education.
- Must have, or be eligible for, a vocational teaching certificate in this area.
- Previous teaching experience is desirable, but not required.
- RN is preferred but OT, PT and other medical professions will be considered.
*In recognition of the fact that individuals with teaching certificates in this specialized field may be in short supply, persons meeting the other qualifications will be considered. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The work year, salary, and fringe benefits will be consistent with the current agreement between the Board of Education and the Livonia Education Association. The deadline for applications is 4:00 pm on Wednesday, July 15, 2020. This position will remain open until the position is filled. APPLICATIONS
: All applicants, including current LPS employees, must complete and submit an application through Applitrack which can be accessed through the Livonia Public Schools webpage. All applicants must also upload a cover letter, professional resume, copies of educational documents (transcripts/certificates), and three current letters of recommendation to their online application.
07-02-20 (ljn) The Livonia Public Schools School District prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, handicap, or disability in any of its educational programs or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or transgender status), national origin, age, height, weight, and marital status-Director of Human Resources, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154 at (734) 744-2566. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries and grievances regarding discrimination based on handicap or disability-Director of Student Services, 15125 Farmington Road, Livonia, MI 48154 at (734) 744-2524.