|Title||Health Unit Coordinator|
|Job Group||Medical Support|
|Employment Type||Part Time (Regular)|
|Hours Per Pay Period||40|
|Shift Length||8 Hours|
|Mandatory Call Requirement||None|
|Mandatory Wknd Requirement||Every Other Weekend|
|Description||The Health Unit Coordinator (HUC) is assigned to help coordinate an efficient customer care unit by providing prompt, accurate and courteous processing of information. Performs reception and clerical activities and works to maintain unit workflow for staff, physicians, customers and families. Participates in the execution of Patient Safety goals including customer privacy, accuracy of customer information, improving and effectiveness of communication among caregivers, and responding to customer alarms by alerting appropriate staff.|
Unit/Department Specific (if applicable)
Variation of duties may result based on specific customer care unit(s). This includes, but may not be limited to: variations in the workflow and successful completion of training the use of the Electronic Health Record. Specific duties and skill lists may vary by unit but are consistent with the nature of work and scope of the HUC role as identified.
• Minimum of two years of experience as a Health Unit Coordinator, Medical Secretary, or related role in a hospital setting required. Recent education (HUC, Medical Secretary Program, or similar) will be considered in place of experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Detail oriented.
• Excellent time management skills. Ability to prioritize and organize tasks in a fast-paced environment and handle high-stress situations.
• Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
• Ability to collect data and write reports and correspondence. Legible handwriting required.
• Strong customer service skills and ability to deal with stakeholders with respect and in a courteous and positive manner.
• Strong keyboarding skills. Skill in use of computer applications to include the Microsoft Office applications: Word and Outlook; and Electronic Health Record (EPIC preferred) is required.
• Strong communication and telephone skills.
• Ability to establish effective relationships with health care team members.
• Proficiency with written and spoken English language sufficent to perform the essential functions of the position.
• High school graduate or GED required.
• Completion of a Health Unit Coordinator Program or Medical Secretary Program preferred.
|License Requirement||None Specified|