Type of Work:
Summary Responsible for operating a stationary or traveling crane to lift, move, position, and reposition loads. Depresses buttons, lifts levers, and ensures load is safely attached to crane before making any lift. Erect structures, move products, equipment, or materials to and from industrial work areas by performing the following essential duties and responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operate crane under general supervision.
- Manipulate or depress cane controls to regulate speed and direction of crane and hoist movement according to written, verbal, or signal instructions.
- Repair crane as needed.
- Inspect crane for safety issues on a daily basis.
- Determine if any parts are malfunctioning.
- Cleans, maintains, and lubricates equipment.
- Complete job tickets, service quality summaries, and all other necessary paperwork.
- Lift, position and place machinery, equipment or other large objects at construction sites and industrial facilities.
- Drive trucks to worksites and unload trucks.
- Place blocks and outriggers to prevent capsizing when lifting heavy loads.
- Move levers and pedals to rotate crane on chassis to raise and lower crane boom and to raise and lower load-line.
- Bolt boom sections together to extend or modify boom for pile driving or high lifting.
- Work with in precise limits and standards of accuracy.
- Operate crane according to signals from helper.
- Start and stop crane engine.
- Follow directions carefully.
Supervisory Responsibilities - This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience - High school diploma or general education degree (GED); Minimal 4 yrs experience operating cranes in an industrial plant setting.
Language Skills - Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer Skills - Computer skills are not required for this position.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations - NCCCO TLL & TSS required, and rigging certs preferred
Other Skills and Abilities - For safety reasons, it is imperative that the employee be able to read and speak fluent English.
Other Qualifications - It may be necessary to travel or commute for this position.
Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. Because of power lines, the employee may be exposed to the risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.