Responsible for operating specialized heavy equipment used in removing asphalt /concrete pavement, excavating earth, placing, compacting and stabilizing recycled concrete, base materials, asphalt, operating pavers and performing tasks in pavement improvement projects. Also, responsible for servicing and maintaining equipment and vehicles on job site.
Target Hiring Range: $17.51/hr - $21.80/hr
Essential Job Functions
1. Operate and train on construction equipment including:
- Asphalt Distributor Truck
- Cold Planer
- Hydraulic Excavator
- Motor Grader
- Paving Equipment (Asphalt Paver/Concrete Paver)
- Tractor with Haul Trailer
- Track Loaders
- Utility Wheel Loader
- all other equipment assigned to Heavy Equipment Operators II in the Street Department
2. Work closely with assigned team members in performing:
- set paving forms
- cut, place/tie rebar
- place/finish concrete
- remove paving forms
- clean debris
- backfill new pavement with soil and place/roll sod
3. Operate a transit / level to set grade for excavating, establishing sub-grade and setting grade pens for finish grade.
4. Inspect and maintain assigned equipment. Perform pre-trip/ post-trip vehicle inspections and complete daily work sheet for equipment operated.
5. Perform preventative maintenance and repairs on equipment, as needed, under the direction of the Street Department’s Equipment Maintenance Supervisor.
6. Attend all required safety training/meetings and obey all safety policies and procedures.
7. Inspect work site to ensure all traffic control devices are in place, clean and in good working condition.
8. Respond to weather events and emergencies, including the ability to work shift schedules when required.
9. Operate sanding trucks and aggregate spreaders on bridges, intersections and streets.
10. Load and deliver traffic control devices for high water events including placement for road closures / monitoring water levels
11. Perform final clean up after weather events to ensure alleys and streets are passable for emergency vehicles, including tree and debris removal, as well as all other general clean-up.
Minimum Education & Work ExperienceHigh School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) 3 years related experience operating and maintaining a variety of specialized heavy equipment and other automotive equipment Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
- Six months additional training past the high school level
- 3+ years experience with a variety of heavy earth moving or automotive equipment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of safe work practices and hazards standard to work area
- Knowledge in care, operation and maintenance of various power tools and power-driven equipment
- Knowledge of City of Garland Standard Construction Details
- Considerable knowledge of safety standard practices governing the operation of vehicles
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, operation and servicing of heavy equipment
- Skill to operate controls for required equipment
- Ability to properly use, operate and care for tools, equipment and materials
- Ability to perform routine maintenance and minor repairs to equipment
- Ability to read and understand operator’s manual
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision
- Ability to work in a team environment