Job ID: []
Helena Sand & Gravel, a CRH company, is a member of the CRH West Division; Our purpose, commitment to the future, and formula for growth is to champion the safety, empowerment, and development of our employees. We strive to be the preferred source of quality sand, rock, landscape products, ready-mixed concrete, asphalt, paving and construction services. We succeed as a team by embracing integrity, mutual respect, innovation, service, sustainability, and financial strength.
The Heavy Equipment Operator is responsible for operating a variety of equipment for groundwork and construction purposes on the highway, utility and/or grade crews. Equipment operated includes front end loader, excavator, road roller, backhoe, dozer, grader, asphalt paving machines, forklift, skidsteer and other equipment as needed. May also operate water truck, dump truck, transport truck and other equipment if trained. Primarily work 10-hours per day, 5 days per week. Will also be required to work up to 14-hours per day, and up to 7 days per week as needed during the busy construction season. Some positions require traveling for extended periods of time to perform the job duties at various jobsite locations.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Operates equipment in a safe and professional manner at various job site locations.
- Works on the utility crew to dig up and lay pipe and cable/power/phone lines.
- Works on the grade crew to set grades and perform groundwork.
- Works on highway crew to assist with road construction and laying asphalt.
- Maintains equipment in a safe and clean condition.
- Performs pre and post-trip equipment inspections.
- Checks fluid levels, tires/tracks, lights, and other controls for safe operation.
- Fuels equipment.
- Greases moving parts using hand-held grease gun.
- Informs Service Technician of any maintenance or repairs needed.
- May assist with General/Skilled Laborer duties at various job sites as needed. May perform physical tasks involved with laying pipe and utility lines, and/or tasks involved with road construction and laying asphalt, etc.
- May assist Service Technicians with equipment maintenance and repairs as needed.
- May perform other duties as needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
- Previous pipe laying experience preferred.
- Five years of lead hoe experience highly preferred.
- Five years working on an underground crew highly preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
CDL with Tanker endorsment preffered
- Safety minded professional who demonstrates good performance and attendance.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently, without direct supervision.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to conform to and maintain MSHA, OSHA, DOT and all other company or state rules and regulations.
- Demonstrates the ability to follow written and/or verbal instructions.
- Demonstrates the willingness to learn and work a variety of job tasks.
- Demonstrates a willingness to work overtime and weekends/holidays.
- Ability to travel could be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The job of Heavy Equipment Operator is a Heavy Duty job, according to the Selected Characteristics of Occupations Defined in the Revised Dictionary of Occupational Titles, U.S. Department of Labor and Industry. Heavy Duty involves exerting 50-100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25-50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force continuously to move objects.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What CRH Americas Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
Helena Sand & Gravel is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.