Under the direction of the restaurant leadership team, A Hospitality Representative needs to provide excellent guest service following our service standards.
The Palm Restaurant is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality food, beverages, and personalized service in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
Operational Excellence: In joining our team, you commit to supporting this mission by demonstrating our Service Standards at all times, and to holding all team members to the same. Providing a safe work environment of trust and respect free of harassment is expected.
Since 1926, when The Palm Restaurant first opened its doors in the heart of Manhattan, the company has been serving up legendary food and service. Today, The Palm operates multiple locations across the United States, all founded on one unchanging philosophy: treat guests like family, serve great food, and always exceed expectations. Owned and operated by members of the Bozzi and Ganzi families for over 90 years, The Palm serves as a second home for countless patrons, who have contributed to shaping its legacy born out of speakeasy roots – where menus were unnecessary and high energy a given – into an atmosphere seen nowhere else. The Palm prides itself on cultivating talent, diversity, and a strong work ethic.
A Palm Host/Hostess is responsible for accurately recording reservations. Practice strong telephone and guest service etiquette. Warmly greets guest and escorts them to the table in the highest professional manner, treating them as if they have always been part of our family.
As a team member of the Palm Restaurant Group, a Host/Hostess must embrace our “Core Purpose”, embody “The Palm’s Values” (Loyalty, Honesty, Quality, Team Work, Dedication, Results, Generosity, and Respect), recognize and satisfy all Palm Restaurant Guests as well as be accountable to the Owners and Restaurant Managers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
All Palm Restaurant jobs require that you embody a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly and efficient service with a smile to customers and team members at all times.
The following are intended as basic requirements. Success will come to the individual who is able to expand upon these job requirements and truly “make it happen”. These requirements/functions may change over the course of employment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following areas:
• Must love and take care of guests!
• Must have a passion for guest service.
• Must say “Yes”, “Thank you” and “Smile” often!
• Follows the process that provide first time guests with the same Palm experience than our most loyal repeat guests.
• Warmly greets and acknowledges guests upon arrival.
• Strive to exceed guests’ expectations.
• Answers incoming telephone calls in a prompt and professional manner and according to Palm standards. Records and distributes messages accurately.
• Records reservations accurately and clearly in the open table reservation system.
• Practices complete guest service, using a warm greeting and welcoming guests with a smile and acts in a professional manner.
• Maintains a clean, neat, well-groomed appearance.
• Must report to work on-time.
• Must clock in at scheduled time and not before.
• All work must be performed while on the clock.
• Possesses knowledge of food and beverages served as well as promotions and special events.
• Be able to take a to-go order accurately.
• Must be able to maintain a positive and calm attitude under stress.
• Able to recognize regular guests.
• Identify first time guests and treats them as part of the Palm family.
• Identifies special occasions and informs the servers and management staff.
• Creates a lasting first and last impression.
• Tends to guests special needs and requests.
• Understands the mechanics of service and assist service staff in the arrangement of tables for large parties.
• Maintains dining room, entrance (interior and exterior), desk, and restaurant throughout shift.
• Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by a manager at any time.
• Periodically check the restroom for cleanliness and provide basic cleaning services throughout the shift.
• Interacts verbally and listens attentively to guests, co-workers, and supervisors.
• May be asked to perform basic administrative functions on behalf of the leadership team.
• Multitasks in order to serve the needs of various guests at the same time.
• Enthusiastically supports decisions once they’ve been made by PMC and Management.
• A Host/Hostess must have a positive attitude and the ability to work well under pressure with bussers, cooks, server, server assistant and other staff.
• Knowledge of the proper etiquette and service standards of the Palm.
• Ability to take direction and collaborate in a team environment
• Ability to solve problems, and work calmly and effectively under pressure
• Highly motivated and demonstrates strong organizational skills
• Ability to stand and exert well-paced mobility for entire shift
• Have to be willing to work any days of the week; including nights, weekends and holidays or as agreed with management.
• Ability to transport up to 50 pounds on occasion and up to 35 pounds regularly
• Experience providing excellent guest service in a fast-paced environment
• Strong self-motivation and organizational skills
• Positive interpersonal skills
Education and Experience
High school education or prior experience as a host in a fine dining restaurant.
Prior experience working in customer service preferred but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and sit.
People & Team Skills: Must have sufficient self-confidence, poise, charisma, and interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively as part of a team and to take part in professional discussions. Also must be able to sustain performance under conditions of stress—such as tight deadlines and detailed questioning. Must demonstrate ability to be a team player and quick learner in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Professional Development and Advancement
A Hospitality Representative may be considered for advancement to a service position in the company. In order to gain the experience and training necessary to be considered for advancement in the company, tasks of a one of the floor service positions may be assigned for development purposes.
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.