Under the general direction of the Pathologist or Laboratory Manager, performs immunohistochemical stains and all other special procedures as required. Cuts, embebs, and stains histology specimens.
- Performs tasks related to fixation and processing of specimens.
- Cuts, prepares, and stains slides from histology specimens.
- Correctly prepares special stains, immunohistochemistry stains and solutions.
- Performs Quality Control on all stained slides.
- Orders reagents, antibodies, and tool parts to ensure adequate supplies for the work.
- May train new employees and students as assigned.
- Operates and Evaluates equipment and reagent systems. Maintains equipment with documentation and reports repairs to manager.
- Also maintains logbooks, Block and slide files.
- Keeps abreast with company's current policies and immunohistochemistry technical updates.
- Writes and updates evaluation reports as well as procedures using the NCCLS format.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Minimum (12) twelve months of experience as histologic technician or completion of the 12 month Histology training.
- Associate's degree in science.
- License, Certification, Registration
- Certified as a Histologic Technician or Histologic Technologist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or the equivalent society, as approved by the Chief of Pathology.
- Must demonstrate aptitude for work as Histologic Technician to the Chief of Pathology's satisfaction.
- Demonstrated ability to perform all special stains, immunohistochemical stains used in the routine practice of pathology.
- Demonstrated ability to perform histochemical stains and all other special procedures as required by the Chief of Pathology including knowledge of the biochemical nature of reaction.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Previous experience with lab information systems
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.