Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Histology Supervisor:
• Manages the daily technical operations of in compliance with all regulatory requirements of College of American Pathologists (CAP), Joint Commission for Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), and Pennsylvania Department of Health.
• Ensures accurate, timely workflow from receipt from 6 Founders through delivery back to 6 Founders from routine Histology, Immunohistochemistry and Immuno Fluorescence.
• Collaborates with the gross rooms and autopsy suite to ensure proper submission of cassettes and documentation.
• Evaluates histology staff skills in embedding, cutting staining and LIS system.
• Develops processes to improve patient safety within the histology laboratory.
• Ensures the histology lab is stocked and physically maintained in accordance with the established guidelines of the department and the needs of the residency program.
• Ensures work allocation among histology staff is fair while maintaining an acceptable level of efficiency.
• Ensures accurate, safe and timely processing of tissue from receipt to maintain patient safety and division’s expected TAT.
• Works with Technical Operations Manager and other division supervisors to develop processes that improve patient safety, department efficiency and overall department TAT.
• Ensures maintenance of skills learned in cross training by managing a work rotation schedule for technicians so that coverage is maintained in times of emergency, high volume and staff turnover.
• Performs the assigned tasks and other duties. Functions in the capacity of a professional pathologist assistant in a busy academic medical center.
• Associates degree in biological science plus a minimum of 5 years in a supervisory position in high volume surgical pathology setting is necessary.
• Certification as Histology Technician by the board of registry of the American Society for the Clinical Pathologists is preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Penn Medicine http://www.pennmedicine.org/careers/
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.