Histotechnician AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
Location Address: 9100 W. 74th Street, Mission, KS 66204
Top Reasons To Work At AdventHealth Shawnee Mission
· Providing faith-based, whole person care to Kansas City since 1962
· Excellent health benefits, an onsite child care center and fitness facility
· Tuition reimbursement to support continuing education
· Employee Referral Program
· Largest health care provider in Johnson County with three campuses
Part-time / Days
You Will Be Responsible For:
- Shares technical knowledge with co-workers; assists with training & orientation of new employees/students & serves as a resource to current staff, students, & physicians.
- Shows enthusiasm in the workplace; actively involved in promoting morale, encouraging others, and improving associate satisfaction scores.
- Seeks opportunities to work cooperatively with other members of the hospital & system.
- Responds in a professional manner to customer requests & inquiries, assuming responsibility for seeing them through to completion.
- Communicates with internal and external customers, responding effectively to questions, issues or problems
- Adjusts to changing customer needs by adapting work habits, schedules, or matters of personal convenience to improve service.
- Willingly assists other associates during times of high volume workload.
- Recognizes limitations & asks for assistance/instruction when necessary.
- Participates in and maintains competency requirements for self and those in department
- Limits personal phone calls & business so as not to compromise productivity.
- Attendance pattern reflects commitment to job requirements & patient care needs.
- Demonstrates & models positive behaviors which are supportive of change.
- Works independently
- Uses time efficiently when regular workload is done to maintain department functions.
- Cross-trained between laboratory areas.
- Maintains clean, well-stocked, & organized work area.
- Takes responsibility for own actions; openly admits mistakes & seeks ways to correct the problem.
- Uses strong technical skills in performing problem solving, making decisions about and verifying section procedures with speed and accuracy.
- Produces high quality tissue sections & stains within a time frame that contributes to effective patient care.
- Prepare, evaluates & stains histology samples according to section guidelines.
- Ensures proper storage of slide & block archive material.
- Performs & evaluates quality control & equipment maintenance; corrects malfunctions or arranges for service as needed.
- Identifies & resolves technical problems, adapts procedures to ensure proper handling of unusual or special tissues.
- Uses the LIS efficiently to accession specimens, order tests & obtain information, in keeping with established protocols.
- Recognizes that the attainment of knowledge is every employee’s responsibility & accepts accountability for staying current on all written or electronic communication.
- Enhances technical & professional knowledge by participation in mandatory & continuing education opportunities.
- Understands & utilizes department resources, including department manuals, administrative policy manuals, safety manuals, MSDS & other reference material.
- Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment and follows established chemical hygiene and biohazard protocols.
What You Will Need:
- Associate Degree or Graduate of a Technical School
- No previous Experience is Required
- HT (Histotechnologist)-ASCP Certified or Equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
The Histotechnician is responsible for processing of human tissue and body fluids. This includes accessioning, processing, embedding, sectioning, staining, cover slipping, labeling & distribution to the pathologist for final evaluation & diagnosis.