The LGBT Network has immediate openings for HIV Outreach Specialist/Health Educators who will be part of a new far-reaching outreach and education project throughout Queens to link gay/bisexual men and transgender women to increase awareness and access to PrEP and PEP as strategies to prevent contracting HIV. This position will report to the Assistant Program Manager, HIV Services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The HIV Outreach Specialist/Health Educator is responsible for:
- Conduct community-based, mobile, and online outreach engaging high-risk gay and bisexual men and transgender women during day and evening hours
- Implement structured outreach and assessment interventions to engage target population, assess risk for HIV infection, and provide PrEP/PEP education
- Contribute to the development of a targeted outreach campaign
- Provide referrals to health care providers that provide PrEP/PEP prescriptions
- Recruit, train, and deploy part-time peers for the effective implementation of project activities
- Make referrals for follow-up appointments for HIV testing and comprehensive screening/assessments.
- Assist with data collection and program reporting
- Attend staff and individual supervision meetings, trainings, and conferences, as appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Public Health, Social/Human Services, or related discipline
- At least 3 years of experience in performing community HIV outreach to high risk populations in nontraditional settings particularly in New York City or Long Island
- Strong knowledge of Queens LGBT communities
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required
- Demonstrated knowledge of using the internet and performing outreach through online encounters.
- Demonstrated basic understanding of HIV combination prevention including PrEP and PEP.
- Proficiency with computer skills such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to multi-task and work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible work schedule a must, as this position may require working nights and weekends
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver license as this position will require travel throughout Queens and Long Island
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a wide range of people and flexibility
- Strong organizational skills for handling multiple tasks at once