NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue is America’s oldest public hospital, established in 1736. Affiliated with the NYU School of Medicine, the 844-bed hospital is a major referral center for highly complex cases, with its 6,000 employees including highly skilled, interdisciplinary clinical staff. It sees more than 110,000 emergency room visits and 500,000 outpatient visits annually. Bellevue is an academic medical institution of international renown. We have served as an incubator for major innovations in public health, medical science, and medical education. Bellevue is a Level I Trauma Center delivering around-the-clock care in adult, pediatric, psychiatric and pediatric psychiatric emergencies as well as in the nationally-designated categories of cardiology, neurology, toxicology, and neonatology. In addition to providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient state-of-the-art care Bellevue is a city-wide medical specialty referral source. Bellevue’s clinical centers of excellence include: Emergency Medicine and Trauma Care; Cardiovascular Services; Designated Regional Perinatal Center and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (ICU); Comprehensive Children’s Psychiatric Emergency Program; and Cancer Services.
- Interview patients bedside, family members and patient's representatives to assess and determine insurance eligibility to cover admission.
- Contact insurance companies by telephone or on-line to notify on hospital admissions, obtain reference number and cost sharing responsibilities.
- Determine patient 's eligibility for No Fault, Worker's Compensation, or Veterans Administration coverage.
- Conduct collateral interviews with agencies, other hospitals, and relatives or with source who can provide information on a patient.
- Contact patients by telephone to obtain additional information
- Perform follow-up activities such as sending mail and telephone calls to contact patients with additional information.
- Collaborate with Social Workers, Case Managers, and clinical staff to assist patients with information
- Prepare all required forms including signatures for Medicaid applications, Managed Care, No-Fault and Medicare admissions including 0011-486 T LOSS 1151, and Self-Attestation.
- Assist patients with Financial Counselin g information to provide options to apply for Medicaid, IIHC Options, fee reductions, and time contracts.
- Perform system checks for patient demographic or insurance information using attached HCI Reference Guide.
- Monitor accounts daily especially time contracts, to prevent aged accounts.
- Manages backlog, considering the value, age and assigned financial class, according to requirements and established timelines.
- Assess 'Bad Address" and accounts 120 days past Initial Statement Mailer. for Collection Agency referrals
- Document all account activity into OAM accurately and timely.
- Consult with Senior/Supervising HCis, and Director as needed.
- Participate in monthly 1:lmeetings with Senior HCI. Attend meetings with Senior/Supervising HCis, Directors when requested.
- Provide back up coverage for HCI's when requested.
- Participate in special projects as determined by Management and/or supervisory staff.
- Adherence to corporate/facility/office policies and practice s.
- Reviewing Medicaid applications for accuracy and completeness to insure eligibility, as determined by the MAP guidelines.
- Documentation of activity including but not limited to the preparation of a hospital bill and /or correspondence where warranted , a history sheet including required letters /forms and unit tracking systems as needed. Preparation and documentation of ineligible /unacceptable Medicaid applications.
1. A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university; or
2. Graduation from a Senior High School or a High School Equivalency Diploma; and
3. Four (4) years of experience in interviewing, casework or a related field preferably in a hospital or health care facility setting; or
4. A satisfactory equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
How To Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply online by clicking the "Apply Now" button.