Job Title: Host
Reports To: Restaurant Manager
The Host greets, seats and offers a parting comment to all guests, answers the phone and maintains sanitation, safety and cleanliness standards in their work area. The Host processes and packages take-out orders. The Host answers guest's questions, responds to guest requests and assists servers in clearing plates and re-filling beverages when the restaurant is full and there is another Host or Manager at the front door. The Host consistently practices all guest acknowledgement requirements.
- Prepares the lobby area for guests' arrival.
- Opens the door and greets guests as they enter.
- Determines seating preferences and advises guests of waiting time if any.
- Directs guests to waiting areas and maintains an accurate waiting list on a first come, first served basis.
- Notifies guests that their table is ready and guides the guests to the table.
- Distributes menus to each guest at the table.
- Answers the telephone before the third ring and responds to guest inquiries.
- Writes take-out orders from call-in or walk-in guests.
- Processes, packs and collects payment on take-out orders.
- Responds professionally to guest comments and questions.
- Assists servers by re-filling beverages, clearing plates and responding to requests from seated guests.
- Cleans and maintains lobby area.
- Monitors cleanliness of restrooms and level of restroom supplies.
- Opens the door and offers a parting comment to all departing guests.
- Verbally acknowledges all guests encountered in restaurant.
- Follows all health, safety, sanitation and security standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
The Host must be well groomed and neatly dressed in a clean uniform. See employee handbook for a complete description of the dress code for the front of the house.
The Host will be required to engage in the following physical action for up to an eight-hour shift:
The Host either stands in the lobby area greeting and offering parting comments to guests or walks guests from the waiting area to a table in the dining room. The Host may be required to carry soiled plates and glassware weighing up to 5 pounds or to retrieve supplies from storage shelves weighing up to 10 pounds.
The Host works in the climate controlled environment of the dining rooms, but will occasionally be required to package take-out order in the kitchen resulting in exposure to heat and humidity. The Host works with cleaning chemicals.
The Host engages in extensive verbal interaction with guests and employees and is exposed to potentially frustrating situations. The Host must work well with limited supervision.