Successful basketball coaching experience, preferably at he high school level. A commitment to excellence for entire basketball program and feeder systems, including but not limited to player improvement, program development and staff assignments. Strong communication and leadership skills. Ability to form positive relationships with students, school and community. Teacher of life lessons who is seen as a role model for student-athletes.
Coaches help students participating in sports work towards achieving their full potential. Coaches bring out ability by identifying needs and planning and implementing suitable training programs. Whatever the context, coaching involves developing the participants' physical and psychological fitness and providing the best possible practical conditions in order to maximize their performance. Coaches must be aware of their ethical and legal obligations to their clients.
- Evaluating performance and providing suitable feedback, balancing criticism with positive and motivating comments.
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses in a participant's performance and identifying areas for further development.
- Adapting to the needs and interests of group or individual participants.
- Communicating instructions and commands using clear, simple language.
- Demonstrating an activity by breaking the task down into a sequence.
- Encouraging participants to gain and develop skills, knowledge and techniques.
- Ensuring that participants train and perform to a high standard of health and safety at all times.
- Inspiring confidence and self-belief.
- Acting as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the people you work with.
- Working to a high legal and ethical standard at all times, particularly in relation to issues such as child safeguarding and health and safety requirements.