Responsible for the training, assigning, supervision, and assisting of custodial staff. Maintains a professional custodial program in order to provide a safe, clean, and sanitary environment at all campus buildings. Responsible for maintaining approximately 160,000 square feet of building space and the maintenance of grounds.
Education / Certification:
- High School Diploma / GED is required. Three years of custodial experience can be substituted for the education requirement.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License with a driving record that meets the requirements of the District.
- Successful completion of district training for supervision of Auxiliary Staff within one year of entering position.
Special Knowledge / Skills:
- Strong time management, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Demonstrated supervisory and management skills.
- Thorough understanding of custodial methods, processes, procedures, chemicals and equipment.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to ensure adequate custodial coverage and response for all shifts.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, and practice safe work techniques.
- Ability to read and understand instructions for cleaning, maintenance, and safety procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver customer-oriented service under the direction of department supervisors.
- Ability to learn and use the district’s TimeClock procedures.
Experience / Other Requirements:
- Three years supervisory experience is preferred.
- Personal cell phone is required to handle district related business, including after hours, or when away from the office on district business.
- Must be able to understand, speak, and write the English language.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment physical examination to include alcohol and drug testing may be required.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, preparing work schedules and supervision of five (5) to ten (10) custodians.
- Supervises and trains custodial personnel to use safe and proper work / cleaning techniques to include the usage of all inside / outside power equipment needed to support program.
- Supervises and assists with the cleaning inside/outside of District buildings which includes floors, carpet, walls, glass windows, ceilings, water gutter and patio/walk areas.
- Supervises and assists with grounds maintenance which includes parking lots, fence lines, playground areas and equipment, lawns, shrubs, trees, and flower beds.
- Supervises and assists with moving equipment, furniture and supplies weighing up to fifty pounds. Asks for assistance with items weighing over fifty pounds.
- Supervises and assists with light maintenance tasks such as painting, changing of globes and installing dispensers (paper, toilet, soap, etc.).
- Maintains and supervises proper use of personal protective equipment. In the case of an accident, the Head Custodian is responsible for timely reporting of the incident to the proper authorities.
- Covers facility activities as requested by administration – Responsible for securing the facility (caretaker) and setting alarms.
- Requisitions, maintains inventory, properly stores and issues all custodial supplies and equipment.
- Ensures compliance with Texas Hazardous Communications Act which includes training of the staff, emphasizing safety, storing, handling, labeling and application of all chemicals.
- Supervises schedules and assigns staff to meet the necessary cleaning / maintenance needs of the facility and administration.
- Coordinates all custodial services with the Custodial Supervisor and facility administration to include the coordination of all safety requirements with the Risk Management Department.
- Supervises and assists in special projects, duties, as requested / assigned by facility administration and / or the Custodial Supervisor or designee.
- Maintains confidentially of information.
- Frequently required to drive District or personal vehicle in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Responsible for properly maintaining district records, adhering to all policies set forth by the district for records maintenance and learning the records retention schedule for department records.
- Reports to work on time every day.
- Performs all other tasks and duties as assigned.
Directly supervises five (5) to ten (10) employees at the middle school level. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the District’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, recommending for employment, and training employees planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.