Human Resources Coordinator
General Description: Administration of all Human Resource and Safety functions, including (but not limited to) hiring, termination, legal compliance, personnel records, training, safety, unemployment compensation, workers compensation, performance evaluations, benefits, and the development and administration of personnel rules and regulations. Advises management and employees on questions or problems relating to Human Resources and Safety. Primary contact for all H.R. related vendors
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a positive employee relations environment and ensure uniform and consistent application of human resources policies, procedures, practices, and programs.
- Working to create and maintain a work environment that encourages open communication and positive employee relations to establish a climate of openness and trust.
- Investigates employee complaints, assists with counseling, and recommends action on employee relations matters.
- Work with Managers and Supervisors to resolve employee discipline issues in a legal and consistent manner.
- Attendance administration including processing absence requests, vacation and time off tracking, leaves of absence covered under FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act), ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and workers compensation and coordinating these absences with Managers and Supervisors to be sure that personnel needs are met during these times.
- Ensure that current practices and recordkeeping of the company are compliant with the various laws applying to Human Resources and Safety, including (but not limited to):
Equal Pay Act
ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
Civil Rights Act
HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)
OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Act)
IRCA (Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986
- Work with management in recruiting and staffing to fill vacant positions including creating the job ads, advertising open positions, screening a resumes and applications, interviewing and testing candidates and other related activities.
- Oversee and administer employee discipline. Support the Manager and Supervisor in this function.
- Prepare letters and forms for employees such as employee verifications, income verifications and provide payroll records
- Responsible for employee on boarding including:
New employee orientation
Processing New Hire paperwork
Informing of benefit eligibility and general policies and procedures
- Oversee all employee terminations (layoffs, termination for cause and voluntary terminations) which includes:
Being present as a witness and moral support during the meeting with the employee
Conduct exit interviews
Provide any letters or employment related documentation that exiting employees may be requesting
Terminating coverage with the dental, life and vision insurance companies, if applicable
- Respond to unemployment claims and represent the company in unemployment claims hearings.
- Administration of Employee Benefits and all related activities including:
Provide all of the necessary information on the options available to new employees.
Counseling and coordinating with employees to be sure that they understand their coverage and how to use it for example: pre-existing condition clauses and how to avoid them, benefits of using in-network physicians vs. out-of network, etc.
- Administration and tracking of all Safety and Workers Compensation claims
Follow up on medical treatment for workers comp cases and the status of employees regarding return to work and restricted duty
Coordinates with Supervisors and Managers on the status and restrictions and any required accommodations
- Oversees training and safety programs in context of compliance with government regulation.
- Create, conduct and coordinate H.R. and safety training and meetings
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in the efficiency of H.R. Department processes.
- Create reports and provide analysis as requested by management
- Coordinating and planning the annual Holiday party including ordering the shirts
- Weekly review and data entry verification and corrections of Piecework Bonus to ensure accuracy of information
- Other duties and projects as assigned by Finance & Administration Manager
- Purchasing: Receive purchase requests/check for appropriate signatures; Creation of purchase orders in Peachtree; Place order and follow up for delivery, back orders, etc.; Update P.O. in Peachtree for items received – follow up for invoices.
- Miscellaneous: Other duties as assigned by Finance & Administration Manager.
- Must meet minimum age requirement for regular employment at Deroose Plants Inc.
- Must have 2-5 years of experience in HR/Safety discipline, plus a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent level of training and experience
- HR knowledge in employment law, compensation and benefits, selection, recruitment, employee relations, training and Safety
- Must demonstrate Good skill level in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time-management skills, detailed oriented, highly organized and a team player.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred