BJ's Wholesale Club was the first retailer to introduce the warehouse club concept in the northeastern United States. Today, we’re a multibillion dollar operation with more than 200 clubs in 17 states from Maine to Florida.
While our Members know us for helping them save up to 25% off grocery prices every day, our Team Members love us for providing a supportive and engaging workplace that’s committed to developing great talent.
If you’re a motivated and enthusiastic person who enjoys working collaboratively and is committed to providing great service for our Members, we want to hear from you. BJ’s offers a fast-paced, team environment with great training opportunities and competitive salary and benefits packages to help you succeed.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER (HRM)
Responsible for management and administration of Human Resource functions in a specified club location. Administers programs, policies and procedures of the BJ's Human Resources Department. Accountable for leading and administering the hiring/onboarding processes, Team Member relations, payroll, and training.
The manager is responsible to function as the Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned. While MOD, the manager has responsibility to manage the entire Club, including all Club departments, to ensure excellent Member engagement, to address any and all concerns brought to the MOD’s attention, and to escalate any concerns, as appropriate. The manager could be assigned as MOD 50% or more of the manager’s scheduled shifts.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities, and Key Accountabilities
- Regularly provides direction and guidance to Team Members regarding company policies. Acts as a mediator between Team Members and management on conflict resolution and/or Team Member relations matters.
- Controls comprehensive scheduling processes for all hourly Team Members, ensuring a productive workforce is available within budget guidelines.
- Ensures club payroll is completed accurately and timely weekly, and ensures all payroll records are maintained properly.
- Supervises and directs the activities of the human resources Clerical and maintenance Team Members.
- Actively recruits, screens, interviews, and hires hourly Team Members. Recruiting efforts involve, among other things, using newspaper ads, in-club hiring table, and visiting campuses of local schools/colleges/universities.
- Conducts Team Member orientations/training for all new hires. Acts as the "on-site administrator" of intranet-based training and communications system to coordinate club training needs (e.g., cashier training, safety, etc).
- Administers all personnel paperwork, including completing and processing new hire paperwork, hourly wage increases, hourly promotions, terminations, worker's compensation and unemployment claims.
- Conducts benefits orientations and oversees annual benefits open enrollment process.
- Handles Team Member’s confidential information with privacy and care.
- Additional administrative tasks as required.
- 1-3 years payroll, clerical or HR experience and/or 2+ years of management experience.
- Interviewing/hiring techniques, payroll background, counseling experience.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including managing/supervising cross-functional teams, training Team Members and Team Member relations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, time management, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills required.
- Basic computer knowledge (MS Word, MS Excel, Email) required.
- High school diploma and/or college degree preferred.
- Open shift availability required.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Most of the time is spent moving about on hard surfaces. There may be a need to occasionally position oneself to sit, twist, lift, bend, pull, reach and move files or boxes.
- Intermittent time sitting at computer workstation.
- Sometimes requires lifting objects up to 30 pounds. May require having to position oneself to examine or scan merchandise, and/or lift and move heavy and/or awkward objects in excess of 30 pounds with assistance.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area with frequent exposure to temperature extremes and loud noises. There may be occasional exposure to cleaning agents.
BJ's Wholesale Club is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all qualified team members and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, physical and/or mental disability, genetic information, atypical cellular or blood trait, marital and/or familial status, pregnancy, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.