Human Resources Manager - Service Line HRBP
Embedded Talent Team
The Human Resources Manager (HRM) serves as an integral business partner in the People and Culture (PC) Embedded team. The HRM will provide support, delivery of people related programs and initiatives and strategic direction and counsel to the service line employees and leaders. The HRM is responsible for collaborating closely with other HR business partners/advisors to understand business needs and priorities in order to ensure that HR talent delivery needs are effectively and efficiently met within the business. This role is also responsible for collaborating with the national People Culture operational and functional areas (PC Operations, Compensation/Benefits, Talent Acquisition, Learning Organization Effectiveness, Employee Relations, People Experience and Diversity Inclusion) to design and deliver on a high-performing, business-aligned people agenda. The HRM is also responsible for providing distinctive service to their business clients, employees and partners within the service line.
The HRM works with various service line Partners/Functional Leaders, service line Lead PC Business Partner and service line HR Director to address human development needs within the various offices and ensures that appropriate learning and development solutions are delivered to meet these needs. The HRM is responsible for “high touch” people experiences, such as performance management, retention practices, employee issues, and general talent programs for the service line. This role is critical in executing all “people” initiatives, providing exceptional internal support, and driving a high-performance culture within our People Culture Community and our Firm.
The Human Resource Manager role serves as a key member of the People Culture Embedded team and People Culture community in the support of firm-wide goals and objectives. This role will report to the PC Associate Director who is the Lead PC Business Partner.
- Delivery of people related programs and initiatives developed/supported by SL HR
- Collaborate with the PC Advisors to ensure a consistent and comprehensive delivery experience nationally
- Drive the execution and delivery experience expectations
- Serve as primary investigator for non-Partner/Principal and Managing Director ER matters
- Become knowledgeable and supportive of the strategy of the firm, service line practices, and the business priorities.
- Uses data and metrics to make critical decisions; identifies patters and reports findings trends.
- Proactively interacts with the service line Partners or functional leaders to strategically identify functional HR/ Talent goals and objectives to ensure they are consistent with the business goals of the firm/service line.
- Supports the execution of the firm strategy by co-designing and implementing a business-aligned people agenda that delivers measurable value to the business and an exceptional experience to the employees.
- Drives national HR/Talent policies, procedures, and practices and ensures they are implemented successfully at all levels.
- Oversees the service line execution of all general HR/Talent programs including the following: performance management, training, employment law compliance, compensation and benefits administration, new hire orientation/onboarding, employee relations, and retention.
- Oversees HR/Talent risk management issues, conducts investigations of workplace policy violations, and monitors AAP / EEO and other regulatory compliance.
- Partners with hiring managers/partners and Campus/EH Talent Acquisition to ensure top talent is sourced and selected for critical hiring needs.
- Manages, mentors, and coaches service line/office/HR/Talent staff.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A business-minded people leader with several years of increasingly responsible HR/Talent positions with demonstrated ability to thrive in a culture that is collaborative, service-oriented, and consultative.
- A functional HR/Talent specialist who delivers services with a pragmatic approach to business partnership and operations.
- An outstanding coach and mentor with engaging and approachable personality. Will have experience working successfully with all levels of staff, from front-line through senior executive.
- Experience in prioritization and negotiation with demonstrated ability to be effective in supporting multiple business leaders/ partners working across different business units.
- Highly collaborative and action-oriented, with strong influencing skills; someone who is a change agent who can build collaborative relationships across a matrixed organization.
- Confident and strong personal initiative as someone who is willing to get out in the field, roll up their sleeves, and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Operationally focused with ability to think strategically and deliver tactically.
- Metrics-focused with ability and history of using analytics to solve problems and develop solutions.
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 5-7 years of HR related experience
- PHR or SPHR certification and prior HR/Talent consulting experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience in implementing HR/Talent strategies.
- Demonstrated experience in defining and implementing detailed HR/Talent business processes.
- Strong verbal and written communication presentation skills.
- A reputation for discretion, integrity, judgment, responsiveness, strong attention to detail and common sense.
- Past experience functioning as an HR/Talent Manager within an HRBP model, ideally in a matrixed environment within a services industry.
- Experience in managing, mentoring and developing a team of HR/Talent practitioners
- Solid PC skills with proficiency in MS Office.
- Ability to travel on occasion to service client base.
Proficiency Standards for fully functioning HR Manager:
HR Technical Expertise (The knowledge of principles, practices, and functions of effective human resources Management)
- Remains current on relevant state and federal laws, legal rulings, and regulations and has awareness of implications of business actions.
- Maintains up-to-date- knowledge of general HR practices, strategy, and technology; applies experience and expertise to research solutions. Evidence of continuous professional development appropriate for level.
- Recognizes potential employee relationsissues in a proactive manner and either resolves the issue or escalates the concern to market/office leadership/PC Director
- Conducts initial investigation of HR/ER issues
- Mediates difficult interactions, handling disciplinary, grievance matters, and policy violations with minimal supervision
- Serves as HR Subject Matter expert to Firm managers partners, applying compliance knowledge to protect organization
- Provides guidance to managers/partners regarding HR/Firm policies. Ensures that required documentation in in place to support personnel actions through ongoing consult with leadership via the performance management process
- Utilizes core business and HR specific technologies to solve business challenges; reports trends to leadership.
- Implements HR operational strategy programs through delivery of high-quality HR processes.
Relationship Management (The ability to manage interactions to provide service and to support the organization)
- Builds positive relationships with market/office/group stakeholders through trust, teamwork, and direct communication.
- Manages difficult complex relationships/conversations with professionalism and poise.
- Develops a reputation as a business-focused, neutral and approachable HR professional known for good judgment in implementing solutions.
- Ensures that HR and Firm decisions/initiatives are understood and communicated within market/office/group.
- Thinks team; not self.
Consultation (The ability to provide guidance to organizational stakeholders)
- Understands the business they are partnering with.
- Is able to function as part of the market/office/group management team and influence leaders.
- Leads the implementation of HR solutions within market/office/group, effectively coaching direct reports/others throughout client base utilizing HR/Business expertise.
- Capable of giving persuasive formal presentations to the market/office/group leadership team.
- Is able to confront difficult issues, take unpopular stands and make tough calls when necessary.
- Starting to demonstrate ability to coach business leaders
Leadership/Influencing (The ability to direct and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization)
- Manages programs, policies, and procedures to support the organizational culture.
- Demonstrates flexibility, adaptability, and initiative.
- Is persuasive and convincing in promoting ideas.
- Maintains composure, poise and professionalism even when facing challenges or resistance.
- Supports critical large-scale organizational changes
- Operationalizes projects and initiatives as set forth by the higher-level plan
- Implements plans using results-oriented goals for measuring success
- Positively promotes People Culture capabilities to the organization
- Serves as a change-agent for the market/office/group
- Routinely identifies methods of achieving business goals with HR adding value.
Critical Evaluation/Thinking (The ability to interpret information to make business decisions and recommendations)
- Maintains working knowledge of HR business key statistics and metrics.
- Asks critical questions, and challenges assumptions to prepare and interpret data studies/metrics.
- Conducts assessments to address problems and implements solutions within the market/office/group.
- Maintains knowledge in the use of data, evidence-based research, benchmarks, and HR and business metrics to make critical decisions.
- Identifies patterns in data and raises relevant issues to leadership.
- Looks at complex issues from multiple perspectives.
- Fully understands how own work impacts the big picture and is able to make appropriate judgments.
Communication (The ability to effectively exchange information with stakeholders)
- Provides clear, concise information to others in verbal, written, electronic and other communication formats.
- Provides constructive feedback effectively.
- Delivers well-organized, impactful presentations
- Fosters the organizational vison for HR practice and policy
- Delivers critical information to all stakeholders.
- Provides proactive communications
- Listens actively and empathetically to the views of others
Business Acumen (The ability to understand and apply information to contribute to the organization’s strategic plan.)
- Builds and maintains functional knowledge of business groups supported; demonstrates intellectual curiosity.
- Maintains knowledge of HR metrics and business metrics including key success measurements and relationships with one another
- Leverages technology to solve business problems
- Defines critical activities in terms of value added impact
Grant Thornton LLP promotes a nationally recognized culture of health and offers an extensive array of benefits to meet individual lifestyles. For a complete list of benefits, please visit www.gt.com.
Founded in Chicago in 1924, Grant Thornton LLP (Grant Thornton) is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd., one of the world’s leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory firms. Grant Thornton has revenues in excess of $1.3 billion and operates 58 offices across the U.S., with more than 565 partners and 8,000+ employees.
Grant Thornton works with a broad range of publicly- and privately-held companies, government agencies, financial institutions, and civic and religious organizations. Core industries served include consumer and industrial products, financial services, not-for-profit, private equity, and technology. Grant Thornton focuses on serving dynamic organizations that pursue growth holistically — whether through revenue improvement, leadership, mission fulfillment or innovation.
It is Grant Thornton’s policy to promote equal employment opportunities. All personnel decisions, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits and termination, are made without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.