The primary accountabilitiesbelow are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of thisposition and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties.
Maintains, repairs, modifies,replaces, installs, and performs routine and preventive maintenance on a widevariety of light and heavy duty heating, ventilation, air conditioning andrefrigeration equipment for existing facilities and those under renovation.Inspects installations of HVAC equipment installed by others. Routine andpreventive maintenance includes operating, cleaning, inspecting,troubleshooting, adjusting, tightening, replacing, lubricating, reportingproblems, etc. on the aforementioned equipment. Reads, understands andinterprets blueprints, drawings, floor plans, schedules and manufacturersoperating and/or maintenance specifications as related to electrical,mechanical, plumbing, HVAC and special equipment, building structures andfinishes. May be called upon to assist other maintenance personnel incompletion of work assignments. This includes but is not limited toelectricians, plumbers, maintenance technicians, sheet metal workers, etc.Responds to requests for routine and emergency maintenance and service frombuilding occupants.
Maintainsand performs repairs, modifications, replacements and installations ofautomatic temperature controls, controllers, relays, variable drives, variableinlet vanes, valve and damper actuators, pneumatic and electronic controlsystems, boiler fire control systems, and other similar equipment.
Operates,adjusts, installs and maintains computerized energy management and controlsystems for electronic, direct digital and pneumatic control systems for HVACequipment, chillers, boilers and other similar type equipment.
Operates,adjusts, calibrates and maintains automatic temperature controls, controllers,variable speed motor drives, variable inlet vanes, valve and damper actuators,pneumatic and electronic control systems, boiler fire control systems and othersimilar type equipment.
Maintainsand performs repairs, modifications, replacements and installations ofrefrigeration equipment to include chillers, packaged air conditioning units,freezers, coolers, air dryers and dehumidifying equipment and other similarequipment.
Maintainsand performs repairs, modifications, replacements and installations of HVACequipment to include steam, gas, electrical and hot water heating systems,terminal reheat and VAV boxes, air handling units, ducts, chilled watersystems, pumps, fan units, radiation and convection unit, valves, lamps,cooling tower, damper and valve actuators, T-Stats, pneumatic systems, coils,DX Units, hot water and steam converters, condensate systems, and other similartype equipment.
Maintainsand performs repairs on drinking water coolers.
Measures,calculates, balances and adjusts CFM readings for air handling systems.
Performsroutine and preventive maintenance on steam, gas, electric and hot waterheating systems, VAV boxes, pumps, packaged air conditioning units, DX Units,reheat units, air handling units, boilers, cooling towers, chillers, hot waterconverters, control valves and dampers, air compressors, room T-Stats, airducts, condenser and evaporator coils, ice machines, freezers, coolers andother similar type equipment.
UtilizesCFCs and HCFCs refrigerant recovery/recycling equipment, maintains records, andperforms all service and maintenance repairs in accordance with current EPAregulations.
Graduate from an accredited TechnicalSchool of HVAC and four (4) years of related experience required. Workexperience may substitute for education requirement. Currently certified with aSection 608 Technician Type I, II, or III Certification from the United StatesEnvironmental Protection Agency (USEPA) required. Currently licensed with aDriver's License from the State of Alabama required.
MVR: Must maintain a valid driver's license, issued in theUnited States. Motor Vehicle Record will be obtained and reviewed atleast annually. Driving record should meet university underwritingstandards to drive vehicle in performance of University business.
Candidate must be able todemonstrate verifiable skills in the following:
- Installation of a single duct direct digital variable air volume controller on a single duct air terminal and set it up to be fully functional. This is to include proper mounting and wiring of hardware, interfacing with controller and setting of controller attributes using setup software, and able to perform a test & balance on the air terminal to ensure the air terminal is distributing the specified air flow.
- Traversing an air duct using a manometer and calculating the amount of air flowing through the cut with three different readings obtained: (1) Average different pressure of the traversed duct, (2) Average velocity in feet per minute (fpm) of the traversed duct, (3) Total volume of air moving through the duct in cubic feet per minute (cfm).
- Must be able to overhaul a compressor on a through wall package A/C unit including removal and disposal of old refrigerant, removing old compressor, sizing new compressor, and proper evacuation and charging of A/C unit with new refrigerant using charging scales.
Possess the necessary physicalrequirements, with or without the aid of mechanical devices, to safely performthe duties and responsibilities of his position to include:
- Lifting and carrying a minimum of fifty (50) pounds.
- Climbing stairs, ladders and scaffolding, and working at heights above thirty (30) feet.
- Performing tasks requiring bending, stooping, kneeling, and walking significant distance between and within buildings on campus.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working within extreme temperature ranges.
Incomplete job profiles will not beprocessed. Please be certain to showcase depth and breadth of experience,as it relates to the needs of this job announcement.
For more information about UABFacilities, please visit: http://www.uab.edu/facilities/
UAB is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse,equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff canexcel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of race, national origin, age,genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity andexpression or sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications fromveterans and individuals with disabilities.
Primary Location: University
Job Category: Facilities
Organization: 112302000 Campus Maintenance
Employee Status: Regular