Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking an HVAC Mechanic I (Maintenance) to join our team in Durham, NC.
Pay Rate: $29.06/hr
- Installs, services and repairs environmental-control systems in residences, department stores, office buildings, and other commercial establishments, utilizing knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting and structural layout, mounts compressor and condenser units on platform or floor, using hand tools, following blueprints or engineering specifications, fabricates, assembles and installs ductwork and chassis parts, using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment, and installs evaporator unit in chassis or in air-duct system, using hand tools
- Cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment and tools, cuts and threads pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment, joins tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions, and solders joints, using torch, forming complete circuit for refrigerant, installs expansion and discharge valves in circuit
- Connects motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connects control panels to power source; installs air and water filters in completed installation, injects small amount of refrigerant into compressor to test systems and adds Freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure
- Observes pressure and vacuum gauges and adjusts controls to insure proper operation, tests joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution, wraps pipes in insulation batting and secures them in place with cement or wire bands, replaces defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units
- Performs heating and cooling water treatment checking for target pH and chemical concentration levels as determined by a heating and cooling water chemist and makes adjustments to treatment chemical level as required
- Excludes tube bundle replacements and repairs and activities that require certification not authorized by Heating Group 2 License or refrigerant handling certification
Skills / Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 3 years of experience working on commercial and/or industrial HVAC equipment
- EPA universal certification for handling refrigerants
- Prefer high technical ability in refrigeration
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.