Union University seeks a qualified individual for the position of HVAC Specialist I. This position is responsible for providing maintenance of the HVAC equipment and systems located on Union University properties, including installing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading the university’s HVAC systems.
Union University is a private, coeducational liberal arts-based university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. The campus is located in Jackson, Tenn. (80 miles northeast of Memphis) with additional campuses in Germantown, Hendersonville, and Memphis, Tenn. Union University currently enrolls about 3,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 48 states and 15 countries. Union University stands as a national leader among colleges and universities in promoting a Christian worldview and a Christ-centered approach to education. Union is consistently ranked among the nation’s premier Christian universities and has been recognized as a top tier institution each year since 1997 by U.S. News & World Report, which also recognized Union at a national level for undergraduate teaching excellence.
- Coordinate with the Facilities Director and/or HVAC Specialist II to complete projects and work orders efficiently.
- Diagnose causes of problems and/or failures in heating/air conditioning systems to identify equipment and/or systems repair and/or replacement needs.
- Install, maintain, and repair heating, ventilating, air conditioning, systems and equipment to optimize energy use.
- Fabricate equipment or parts to meet specialty needs and/or replace unavailable parts.
- Inform Facilities Director and/or HVAC Specialist II about procedures and/or status of work orders to provide information for making decisions, taking appropriate action, and/or complying with building and safety regulations.
- Inspect all HVAC equipment (heating, exhaust, ventilation and refrigeration) and its components for the purpose of evaluating condition and identifying repair needs.
- Install heating and air conditioning equipment and systems to provide enhanced and/or upgraded capabilities.
- Maintain vehicle, tools, and equipment for the purpose of ensuring safe operation.
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance as needed to ensure the ongoing, proper function of the HVAC systems.
- Prepare written materials (e.g. repair statuses, activity logs, etc.) to document maintenance activities.
- Repair heating and air conditioning systems and/or components (e.g. pumps, motors, air handlers, fan coils, piping, etc.) to ensure a comfortable work environment.
- Request equipment and supplies necessary for maintaining inventory and insuring availability of items required to complete the necessary installation and/or repair.
- Respond to emergency situations during or after hours to resolve immediate safety concerns and comfort of our students, faculty and staff if necessary.
- Transport a variety of tools, equipment and supplies to ensure the availability of materials required at job sites.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to perpetuate the efficient function of the work unit.
High school diploma or GED equivalent is desirable but not required. Three years of demonstrated experience with all aspects of HVAC installation and repair (chillers and boilers) and common kitchen appliances is required. A valid Tennessee driver’s license and evidence of insurability is required. Preference will be given to applicants with appropriate certifications (Freon Handling and Universal EPA refrigeration). Preference will also be given to candidates with prior plumbing experience and proficiency with electrical circuits.
Successful candidates must be professing Christians who are active members of a local church, enthusiastically support Union University’s Identity, Mission, and Core Values, and articulate a Christian worldview in their work and life.