Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
Hennepin Healthcare has a current opening for a Hyperbaric Technologist in our Hyperbaric Department. This part-time (0.5 FTE) position will work primarily a weekday schedule with varying start times and on-call every third weekend.
Under general direction, an employee in this class performs work in a technical support position involving medical treatments in a Hyperbaric Chamber setting, and patient care services at or below the EMT level of training.
- Ensure the overall safe mechanical functioning of the chamber facility by regularly evaluating, testing and documenting the equipment and supplies used in Hyperbaric Medicine
- Assist in the planning, execution, and documentation of routine maintenance of the chamber facility and all associated devices
- Perform small-scale repairs and modifications of equipment
- Insure that maintenance meets published standards for such pressurized vessels and participate in the development and documentation of a plan and schedule where published standards do not exist
- Order chamber supplies
- Arrange for large-scale repairs and maintenance equipment
- Pressurize, monitor and depressurize the chambers safely during patient treatments, animal research, training, and testing
- Maintain a log of all chamber runs
- Assemble equipment used for administering oxygen to patients and staff
- Operate back-up systems for chamber treatments, and activate the chamber fire suppression systems
- Ready the chamber(s) prior to treatment following the pre-dive checklist and assure the patient equipment inside the chamber is available and ready to use and monitor and restrict as necessary for safety all equipment and materials used inside the chamber
- Recognize and identify safety dysfunction s and halt patient care activity as appropriate
- Document chamber incidents having potential health or safety effects
- Ensure and document that all chamber and support personnel are properly oriented for emergency procedures
- Assist in keeping the chambers and chamber rooms clean and tidy
- Assist the inside attendant as needed
- Participate in training, research, and education to promote Hyperbaric Medicine
- Foster positive relationships between the hospital and local fire department, EMS and pressure vessel inspector as appropriate
- Monitor building upkeep and maintenance and notify Facilities Management if Environmental Services for necessary services
- Train employees involved in operation of the Hyperbaric Chamber
- Assist with patient transportation and lifting
- Perform transcutaneous oxygen measurement testing
- Provide on call service for after-hours emergencies
- Monitor patients inside the hyperbaric chamber during treatments
- Completion of a related training program such as Hyperbaric Technology, Respiratory Care, Emergency Medical Technician, Paramedic, or scuba diving
- An approved equivalent combination of education and experience
- Current certification as a Certified Hyperbaric Technologist, Certified/ Registered Respiratory Therapist, Emergency Medical Technician, Paramedic or other higher level patient care certification or eligible to receive it within 3 months of hire.
- Two years of experience in the technical operation and maintenance of multiplace or monoplace high-pressure chambers.
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.