Charlie’s Produce - Who We Are
Charlie's Produce is a privately owned wholesale produce company. We are the largest privately owned produce wholesaler on the West Coast, with distribution centers in Seattle, Spokane, Portland, Anchorage, Boise, and Los Angeles. The secret to our 40 years of success in this industry is PEOPLE! We strive to hire the best and we reward them with a working environment that fosters loyalty, stability, innovation, and growth.
Charlie's provides a healthy employee stock ownership program, competitive Medical/Dental/Vision and Life Insurance plans. And our newest benefit offers Pre-Paid Fully Funded College Tuition to our employees and the dependent children of our employees after 1 year!
Monday - Friday (Occassional Saturday)
The Import Manager’s responsibilities include organizing import and operations and ensuring that they are carried out effectively and efficiently. The Import Manager leads a strong team of importers, goal setting, and mentors the team to continued career growth within the department and the company.
Essential Responsibilities Include but Not Limited To
- Manage the global import team, and works with a small brokerage crew that includes sales divisions
- Communicates and works with existing growers and interacts with and helps assess new grower prospects
- Reviews and analyzes product availability, pricing strategy, packaging and logistics with the Sales Team
- Monitors inbound shipments to ensure compliance with import regulations
- Provides shipping information and required documentation to appropriate parties including U.S. customs brokers, expeditors, inspectors and warehouses.
- Works closely with Sales Team and shippers/growers to schedule, coordinate and align inbound shipments with product demand, customer requirements and sales needs.
- Coordinate the scheduling of freight forwarding with the in house transportation team from the point of delivery (port, border and packing house) to the final destination.
- Continually identify and determine optimum sources of supply
- Communicate effectively to all department supervisors
- Maintain awareness of Company’s marketing strategies and competitive activity
- Some travel required: visiting growers & attending produce conventions.
Charlie’s Produce Total Compensation Package includes
- Vacation/Holiday/Sick Pay
- Competitive starting pay
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- 50% Subsidized ORCA Pass
- Employer-covered College Program
- 401(k) available
- Physical requirements: Walking thru the warehouse to check product inventory & quality
- Ability to observe and follow proper safety procedures, and a willingness to report potentially unsafe conditions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, Business or International Business preferred
- Minimum Five (5) perishable commodities import experience
- 3-5 years of people management skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong Math & Writing skills required to quickly multiply & add cases/pallets & calculate product cost, market, & margin
- Multiple task management
- Be able to set priorities, meet deadlines, and able to accomplish team objectives
- Candidate should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with computer competency, including Excel, Word, & Outlook
- Strong commodities knowledge, including vegetable, fruit, herbs, and specialty produce lines
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration and if necessary the Department of Homeland Security with the information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Charlie's Produce is an Equal Opportunity Employer.