Independent Living Instructor
About this position:
You would work one-on-one with people with developmental disabilities who live on their own. You would empower your clients to reach their personal goals of independence and community participation. You would teach life skills in a motivating, personalized, and professional environment. As a full-time Instructor, you would have a caseload of around 5-9 clients. The caseloads are concentrated throughout Alameda County.
No experience required!
This job is a good way to gain experience in the non-profit sector, social work, social services, occupational therapy, mental health, or case management. We seek people who want to make a difference in the lives of others and are both gifted teachers and teachable themselves.
You would receive training and get to support clients with:
- Money management
- Medical, dental, and medication management
- Basic cooking and meal preparation
- Utilizing public transportation
- Locating affordable housing
- Obtaining and maintaining benefits such as Social Security, Medi-Cal, Medicare, etc.
- Community involvement and socialization goals
- Household maintenance
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week position. You would work a consecutive 8 hour day between the hours of 9am and 7pm, Monday through Friday, driving time included.
Salary: $18.65 per hour
Health & Wellness Benefits:
- Medical coverage for those working 30 hours a week or more, with three different health plans for you to choose from
- Dental and vision coverage for both full-time and part-time staff
- Free mental health counseling sessions for you and members of your household
- Annual health & wellness fair with free massage, cooking demonstration, wellness seminar, and wellness gift raffles
- Semi-monthly yoga classes at our office - paid time!
- Flexible Spending Account so you can use pre-tax dollars to cover your medical expenses
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, allowing you to use pre-tax dollars to cover childcare expenses
- Commuter benefits, allowing you to save big on BART and bus with pre-tax dollars loaded onto your clipper card
Investing in Your Future Benefits:
- 403(b) retirement plan so you can invest in your future
- Free financial coaching from an expert advisor to help answer any financial questions you may have
- Education Assistance Fund, providing reimbursement for tuition, fees, and supplies for education and self-enrichment courses
Career Advancement Benefits:
- Membership in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 1021, helping you advocate for employment terms that work for you
- Ability to view and apply for supervisory position openings before they are advertised to the general public - we love to promote from within!
- Many opportunities for training so you can feel confident in the work you do and prepare for future career opportunities
- Paid sick leave for all employees, and paid vacation for full-time employees
- Paid holidays for all
- Mileage reimbursement for on-the-job driving at 58 cents per mile
- Free legal consultation for any legal concerns you may have outside of work
- Staff appreciation month with a BBQ, a party, daily raffles, and more, to celebrate you and the important work that you do
This job might be for you if:
- You believe that all people should be in the driver’s seat of their own life
- You enjoy supporting and helping people, no task is too small!
- You enjoy working with people with many different lifestyles and backgrounds
- You are comfortable responding to unexpected challenges; you are cool under pressure and think quickly on your feet
- You like working independently but communicate with your team and supervisor
- You like to learn new things and can learn quickly; when things change, you can roll with the punches
- You follow through with commitments
- You have your own reliable vehicle, valid driver’s license, and auto insurance, and you are willing to drive your clients to various appointments and errands to help accomplish their goals (we reimburse mileage!)
About Our Organization:
Established in 1994, East Bay Innovations (EBI) is a nonprofit human services organization that supports people with developmental disabilities, such as intellectual disabilities, autism, and cerebral palsy. Our person centered services support people to live in their own homes, make choices about how they live, work in jobs of their choosing, and enjoy being part of their communities. We seek to further the human rights and empowerment of people with disabilities, and hire people who care about social justice and want to make a difference in the lives of others.
*East Bay Innovations is an equal opportunity employer. We will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
- Employee Events
- Employee Referral Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Paid Holidays
- Paid sick days
- Professional Development
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Subsidized Commuting
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation/paid time off
Director of Assisted Living