PRIMARY EMPLOYMENT OBJECTIVES
The Industrial Designer III is responsible for creating a wide range of solutions; from component level to system level solutions (with emphasis on system level solutions). The Industrial Designer III will develop design concepts using CAD tools, mock-ups and prototypes, and will validate designs thru testing and trials. The Industrial Designer III will be a key member of the design team and will participate in the new product development and product improvement efforts of the company. The Industrial Designer III will work alongside with the other departments to establish the design brief, including the concept, performance and production criteria and to ensure manufacturability, durability and performance of the products.
The Industrial Designer III, Team Lead will lead a small team to ensure they provide key technical services to support the product development efforts of the company, mentoring and training his team members as required, seeing to the implementation of best design practices, and help in the coordination of activities of the wider Design Engineering team.
The Industrial Designer III, Team Lead must have exceptional creative problem solving skills, ability to lead his peers and will need to be a customer oriented self-starter who can work in a dynamic and evolving team environment. This position also requires a good understanding of technology, materials and manufacturing methods for plastics and composites.
SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Design concepts, CAD files & Drawing preparation:
- Establish design briefs, including the concept, performance and production criteria.
- Ensure that products are developed to specification and with design excellence.
- Consider end customers in every action and decision.
- Lead a team of designers providing world class product development capability for Revision Military.
- Task the team members according to plans, track and report progress, help and mentor as required.
- Provide input on overall product design.
- Implement best practices for creation and verification of technical documentation.
- Demonstrate concepts thru sketches mock-ups and prototypes.
- Create 3D CAD models of composite, metal or injection moulded components.
- Draw parts, sub-assemblies and assemblies (2D and 3D).
- Bill-of-material (BOM) creation and update
- Perform tolerance studies on parts and assemblies.
- Identify the suitability and availability of COTS items and materials.
- Validate designs thru testing and trials.
- Create 3D realistic images for specification sheets of products, for marketing materials or for the website.
- Liaise with other departments and suppliers as required during the product development process.
- Proficiency in the use of software tools primarily SolidWorks and graphics software such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
Technical Data Management:
- Capability to manage and control configuration of technical data using Solidworks PDM.
- Bill-of-material (BOM) creation and update
- Understand and have input into the Company’s engineering database and bill of materials system.
- Implementing technical data management within the requirement of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of experience in product design.
- Experience in leading a creative team is a plus.
- Experience in the design of personal protective equipment’s is a plus.
- Exceptional creative problem solving and design skills
- Must be proficient in SolidWorks, Photoshop, Illustrator and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Experience in Surface Modeling is a plus.
- EPDM (Enterprise Product Data Management) manager/administrator experience, a plus.
- Must have good manual skills for creating mock-ups and prototypes, experience is a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of standard design and drawing practices, specifically as it relates to product development in the plastic injection industry.
- Knowledge of composite manufacturing processes is a plus.
- Technical Data Management experience is a plus.
- Creative and ability to work autonomous and part of a team.
- Experience with production environment is a plus.
- Strong English language, verbal communication and writing skills required.
- Knowledge of and experience of working with Military and Personal Protective Equipment Standards, a plus.
Work environment (include physical requirements)
- Traditional office work and office conditions.
- Some travel may be required between Revision facilities.