The Power & Control Specialist (PCS) is an hourly position, reporting to the Maintenance Team Leader. The PCS maintains all instrumentation, electrical and electronic devices and systems including computer based control systems and medium voltage power distribution systems. This is a diverse role combining skills and abilities for electrical and electronic equipment and systems.
- Participate in the safety, quality, TPM and good housekeeping programs as established within the plant; including but not limited to Kaizen, Central Safety Committee, etc.
- Perform job tasks in a manner to reduce an adverse impact to the environment, and adhere to the environmental regulations and recycling procedures for waste disposal.
- Comply with all plant rules, safety regulations and job hazard analysis (JHA) requirements.
- Perform work tasks from SAP generated work descriptions and orders.
- Troubleshoot, dismantle, repair, reassemble, and maintain electrical equipment and systems such as motors and motor controls, general power distribution, lighting, etc.
- Troubleshoot, dismantle, repair, reassemble, maintain, and calibrate electronic equipment, controls, and instrumentation such as Variable Frequency Drives, servo systems, transmitters, displays, printed circuits, etc.
- Troubleshoot, dismantle, repair, reassemble, and maintain Medium Voltage Power Distribution Systems and equipment as needed and trained.
- Troubleshoot and repair Programmable Logic Control systems and components, specifically, Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, MicroLogix, CompactLogix, SLC, PLC5, and Siemens S7.
- Utilize information obtained from engineering drawings, electrical schematics and diagrams, simple and complex sketches, other related documents, and verbal field instructions needed to perform assigned duties.
- Complete accurate records and reports needed for the PCS role in SAP plant maintenance module.
- Provide relief to positions of prior qualification, as required.
- Perform cleanup duties (including, but not limited to, equipment areas, workstations, etc.).
- Perform other related duties consistent with the nature of this position, as directed by the area leader.
Employee should hold the following abilities:
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English.
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions.
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to multi-task.
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills.
- Must work well in a team environment.
- Must be self-motivated to work independently and meet targets.
- Must possess and demonstrate general knowledge of electrical systems and principles including motors, motor control, power distribution, lighting, and general electrical safety.
- Must possess and demonstrate general knowledge of electronic, controls, and instrumentation systems and principles, both analog and digital.
- Must possess and understand basic electrical theories including OHMS law and DC current.
- Must be able to read and comprehend electrical and electronic schematics, drawings, PID drawings, and riser drawers to trouble shoot equipment and system issues as well as perform required maintenance safely.
- Must possess and demonstrate good electrical and electronic troubleshooting skills and aptitude.
- Must have to ability to do basic mathematical calculations including algebra, geometry, and basic trigonometry.
- Must be able to secure and maintain job related qualifications and certifications as required by the nature of this position.
Computer and Software Competencies
The Employee must be able to:
- Operate a computer and other keyboard instruments.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Utilize SAP for data entry and reporting.
Education and/or Experience
The Employee should have the following:
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Must be a US citizen or have the right to work in the US.
- Must be drug and alcohol free.
- Four years electrical/electronic/instrumentation experience in industrial environment. A combination of college and experience will be considered.
- Two years Associate degree in electrical or Electronic Systems Technology is preferred but not required.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Rotating shifts – days and nights 12 hour shift.
- Stand for extended prolonged periods during 12 hour shift.
- Work overtime, as needed.
- Utilize hand dexterity.
- Physically able to qualify, wear, and utilize all required PPE.
- Climbing stairs and working from ladders, both portable and fixed.
Additional Required Training
All annual safety and role specific training:
- Training and Qualification packet must be completed successfully
- Role-specific Crane and Rigging Certification
- Role-specific Hand and power Tool Safety Training Certification
- Role-specific Aerial Platform Certification
- Role-specific Powered Industrial Vehicle Certification
- Role-specific Lock Tag Try Certification
- Role-specific Respiratory Protection Certification