Provide industrial engineering and material handling analysis for the efficient flow of materials through manufacturing facilities, primarily within automotive powertrain and assembly plants to support new program launches. The objective of our analysis work is to optimize the receipt, movement, storage, and workstation display of material to support efficient production operations.
- Apply lean manufacturing principles and methods to develop efficient material handling processes for the movement of material throughout manufacturing facilities.
- Develop and maintain material handling data to include bill of material, packaging information, and material flow/material handling information. Strong Microsoft Excel skills are required and Microsoft Access skills are a plus.
- Analyze dock operations and locations for all material being received into the plant, as well as finished product being shipped and returnable containers being reintroduced into the supply chain.
- Plan for efficient material movement processes and patterns within the plant, which may include movement of material by fork truck, tugger, conveyor, and automatic guided vehicle systems. Material delivery methods may also include sequencing and kitting. Experience with Flow Planner and/or FactoryFLOW software is a plus.
- Develop storage analysis to determine min and max storage levels for parts being stored within the plant, both in bulk and small lot form. Analysis will also include requirements for empty returnable containers. Develop efficient storage layouts that maximize floor space utilization while also supporting efficient material flow within the facility.
- Using AutoCAD, develop workstation layouts designed to maximize the efficiency of operators.
- Develop specifications to assist in the procurement of material handling equipment, including dock equipment, storage equipment, powered material handling vehicles, and standard and specialized line display equipment. Assist in the buyoff and runoff of equipment. Maintain the overall material handling equipment budget.
- Experience in developing processes, labor standards, and line balancing for direct and indirect labor is preferred.
- Familiarity with various standard time data systems such as MODAPTS, MTM and MOST is a plus.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Industrial, Manufacturing, Mechanical Engineering, or Supply Chain Management from an accredited university preferred.
- 5 to 8 years of relevant on the job experience preferred.
- Previous Industrial Engineering experience in Automotive Powertrain and/or Automotive vehicle assembly fields preferred.
- Analysis and report generation utilizing Microsoft suite of products. Strong Excel skills required and Access skills a plus.
- Experience with FlexSim or other simulation software is preferred.
Ghafari is a global engineering, architecture, process design, consulting, and construction services firm driven to understand and meet the distinct needs of every client. For nearly forty years, we have taken a personal approach to highly technical projects in complex markets. By blending insight with technological innovation, we help clients elevate their efficiency, sustainability, and impact.
Our full-service, in-house team works together to meet the unique demands of each project. Working side by side, market experts and discipline leaders exchange insights to uncover new opportunities for efficiency. This rigorous collaboration allows us to bridge smart design with precise functionality.
Ghafari was founded on the promise of technological innovation. Today, we are recognized as a pioneer in adopting and standardizing the latest advancements in our field. We aim to remain at the forefront of our industry and create ever-smarter spaces that help clients navigate new demands within their field.
Join our team and work on forward-thinking projects around the world.
Ghafari Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the employment application process. If you need an accommodation due to a disability in order to use our online system to apply for a position at Ghafari Associates, LLC, you may apply for positions in the following ways:
Connect to our job portal
By fax at 313.436.8624; Attn: Human Resources
By mail at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126; Attn: Human Resources
In person at 17101 Michigan Avenue, Dearborn, MI 48126.
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If there are any questions or additional accommodations that are required, please contact 313.441.3000 for assistance.
It is Ghafari Associates, LLC’s policy not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a person’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a qualified individual with a disability or a protected veteran, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance.