Participation with the implementation and evaluation of hospital-wide programs for the surveillance, prevention, and control of infections. Carry out infection prevention and control surveillance activities in defined patient populations and maintain Public Health reporting of communicable diseases.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing.
- Five years clinical hospital experience.
- RN licensure within the state of Florida.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Applies knowledge of growth and development in customer interactions and treatment, in assisting with provision of infection prevention and control educational programs, and materials to healthcare personnel, patients, families, and the community.
- Assists department to meet the needs of both internal and external customers.
- Responsible for maintaining records to meet potential legal and regulatory requirements, including assuring accuracy and timeliness of information entered into healthcare-associated infections database.
- Responsible for the appropriate placement or isolation of patients with development/review of Infection Prevention and Control policies and procedures as directed, and with follow-up on patients, personnel, and visitors who have communicable disease(s) and/or blood exposure within the hospital.
- Responsible for personal and professional growth and expertise by remaining current with changing regulatory requirements, changing trends, and participation in professional organization(s).
- Documents in the medical records all communication with physician, family or Public Health agency.
- Identifies patient care practices and procedures with specific infection risk for patients and/or personnel.
- Maintains departmental files, records, and computer statistics for healthcare associated infections and prepares information for weekly departmental review.
- Maintains Public Health reporting system to insure reporting of communicable diseases.
- Participates in departmental and hospital-wide Performance Improvement activities, as directed.
- Performs facility defined surveillance for presence of healthcare-associated infections in designated patient populations using hospital computer systems to retrieve, analyze, and organize data. Submits written report on all surveillance activities and/or investigations to Infection Prevention and Control Director and Committee.
- Reviews laboratory, microbiological reports and medical records for evidence of infection.
- Ability to apply principals of adult education.
- Ability to communicate verbally in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and react calmly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to use complex mathematical techniques to budget and provide productivity assessments.
- Ability to use logical and scientific thinking to interpret technical data and solve a broad range of problems.
- Able to relate cooperatively and constructively with clients and co-workers.
- Certification in Infection Prevention and Control, preferred.
- Good working knowledge of MS-Office.