In the Navy, information technology (IT) plays an important role in everything from electronic mail systems, to shipboard control systems, to Special Intelligence (SI) systems. Navy Information System Technicians (IT specialists) are Enlisted Sailors who engage in a broad range of responsibilities, including network administration, database management and computer hardware and software implementation. Their responsibilities include:
- Operating and maintaining Navy global satellite telecommunications systems
- Serving as admin on mainframe computers and local and wide area networks
- Implementing micro-computer systems throughout the Fleet
- Serving as an important part of the Information Dominance Corps in its mission to gain a deep understanding of the inner workings of adversaries and developing unmatched knowledge of the battlespace during wartime
A high school diploma or equivalent is required to become an Enlisted Sailor in the IT field in the Navy. Those seeking an Information Systems Technician position must be U.S. citizens who can meet eligibility requirements for a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information security clearance. You should have a good working aptitude of math, an understanding of modern computing devices and the capability to do highly detail-oriented work.
General qualifications may vary depending upon whether you’re currently serving, whether you’ve served before or whether you’ve never served before.
Learn more about life in the Navy at https://www.monster.com/company/profiles/US-NAVY-1
- Life Insurance
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Development
- Long Term Disability