# of Open Positions:2
Salary Grade: 2
Employment Type: Full-Time/Regular
Hours per Week: 40
Work Days: Monday-Friday
Reporting to: Information and Referral Manager
Guided by our belief that no one should live in poverty, Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency empowers people and communities to be strong, healthy and thriving.
An Information & Referral Specialist provides information, referral, and assessment over the telephone by email or online in the Wayne Metro CONNECT Call Center. Responsibilities include conducting preliminary need and eligibility assessments, gathering information for program intake activities and scheduling appointments for clients with Wayne Metro staff.
· Receive incoming calls to assess a client’s need and recommend the most appropriate initial course of action given the caller’s needs and the available resources within Wayne Metro and/or the community.
· Maintain consistently high standards of customer service while maintaining confidentiality.
· Provide information to clients of available programs/services and make appropriate referrals.
· Schedule client appointments with the appropriate department based on Wayne Metro’s established pre-screening guidelines and determination criteria.
· Accurately document all client interactions using web-based computer software systems.
· Inform clients by explaining procedures, answering questions, and providing information.
· Maintain communication equipment by troubleshooting and reporting problems.
· Develop and maintain comprehensive resource files of information on organizations that provide human services in the community.
· Stay informed on social issues, programs, and changes in services at Wayne Metro and in the Wayne County area.
· Maintains and improves quality results by adhering to standards and guidelines; recommending improved procedures.
· Maintain accurate records for the purpose of deriving statistics and compiling program reports.
· Meet quality assurance requirements and other key performance metrics.
· Utilize various systems and tools to assist and service clients.
· Work in a call center environment on a computer with a headset for extended periods of time.
· Attend staff meetings, conferences and workshops in order to upgrade professional skills.
· Work effectively in team atmosphere while achieving program quality assurance goals.
· Maintain a positive attitude towards assigned work, clients, and staff, and a willingness to work with others.
· Perform work in a professional manner that upholds Wayne Metro’s policies and procedures.
· Other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Clerical: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a professional office/call center environment with a moderate noise level. This is largely a sedentary role and the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, frequently use hands and to talk or hear.
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related major OR a combination of education and experience that is similarly equivalent.
· Minimum of four years of experience in Human Services
· Accredited Information Referral Specialist Certification (CIRS) is a plus.
· Ability to type at least 35 w.p.m.
· Call center experience with expertise in telephone etiquette is essential.
· Demonstrated knowledge of customer service principles and practices.
· Demonstrated evidence of interviewing, assessment and problem solving skills.
· Ability to effectively communicate via phone, gather and record data using various computer programs.
· Working knowledge of basic internet applications and programs including Google technology and Microsoft Office Word and Excel. The ability to learn and utilize the necessary programs for this position.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written form.
· Excellent interpersonal and professional skills including but not limited to professional appearance, tact, punctuality, and dependability.
· Excellent customer service skills with the ability to work with internal and external customers in a friendly, cooperative, and professional manner.
· Excellent listening skills and the ability to ask probing questions, understand concerns, and overcome objections.
· Ability to learn and navigate new software quickly.
· Ability to work well under pressure and/or against opposition and to handle conflict in a professional manner.
· Strong organizational and time-management skills.
· Must be flexible, reliable and have the ability to work autonomously, as well as in a supportive/team based environment.
· Effective problem solver and decision maker.
· Ability to provide services for those persons facing economic, social, health, age, and educational barriers.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule.
· Perform work in a manner that upholds Wayne Metro policies and procedures.
Licensing and Other Requirements:
· Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
· Seek and attain Certified Information & Referral (CIRS) credential when eligible.
Work Hours: Work to be scheduled-Monday through Friday with specific hours to be determined by department needs.
How to apply - Wayne Metro’s Website:
If you are interested in this position and you meet the minimum requirements, please visit http://www.waynemetro.org/careers to submit an online application, cover letter and resume.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency is an Equal Opportunity Employer.