Farmingdale State College - Information Security Analyst
Farmingdale State is a public college of applied science and technology with an enrollment of more than 9,200 undergraduate and graduate students and a rich history of over 80,000 graduates. As the largest of SUNY's colleges of technology, Farmingdale equips students with the resources and knowledge sought by today's emerging industries. A total of 31 undergraduate degree programs are offered within four schools: Arts & Sciences, Business, Engineering Technology, and Health Sciences. Academic programs also include a graduate program beginning in the Fall of 2017. Small classes with nationally recognized faculty, technology-enhanced classrooms, state-of-the-art information services as well as a highly successful NCAA Division III athletics program, make Farmingdale State one of the fastest-growing colleges in the region, and in the State University of New York system.
Located on 380 lush acres in the heart of Long Island, approximately 45 minutes from New York City, Farmingdale was named as one of the best colleges in the North in US News and World Report 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Farmingdale is proud of its many graduates with 91% indicating that they are continuing their education or are working in their field of specialization. College Choice listed FSC in its list of "50 Safest Small Colleges and Universities" for 2016.
The Information Security Analyst will be responsible for assisting the Director of Information Technology in developing and maintaining Farmingdale State College's information security capabilities, implementing security controls, responding to information security incidents, and the monitoring of administrative, academic systems and networks for policy enforcement and compliance. The Information Security Analyst will work with cross-functional teams to design and implement security initiatives; serve as a resource person on specific information security technologies and technology-related compliance requirements.
The Information Security Analyst reports to the Director of Information Technology and works closely with Information Technology leadership to build awareness and implementation of security controls, within the department and across the College.
In addition, the information security analyst will:
- Maintain and develop information security software tools (unix/linux, python, php, and sql-based)
- Recommend remediation strategies and technologies for mitigating risks
- Evaluate current and future requirements and develop or recommend technical and operational solutions accordingly
- Support and manage risk mitigation tools as needed
- Develop specifications and standards for equipment, software, and procedures in support of College policies
- Investigate internal and external reports of information security issues
- Assist in analyzing results from intrusion detection systems, intrusion prevention systems, network mapping software, log analysis, and other tools to detect, respond to, and mitigate information security related vulnerabilities and incidents
- Maintain audit and oversight of processes, procedures, and tools used to ensure security controls
- Maintain metrics and prepare reports
- Perform trend and root cause analysis
- Liaison with various College constituencies on behalf of the Director as needed
- Serves as a resource person in assessing systems, processes, and projects against compliance requirements, control objectives, and security best practices; interacts with internal and external technical staff and consults with project teams at various stages of project cycles
- Must be able to maintain data confidentiality and compliance with regulatory requirements (HIPAA, FERPA, PCI, etc.).
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work with multiple constituencies within a culturally diverse environment
- Experience working with programming or scripting languages (e.g., python, php, ruby, bash)
- Two years of relevant experience (for example, information security analyst, Linux/Unix desktop or server support function, Windows desktop or server support function, or help desk)
- Practical experience with one or more relational database packages
- A demonstrated understanding of network topologies, architectures, protocols, and addressing schemes
- Knowledge of and a demonstrated ability to operate Unix and Windows-based security tools (e.g., nmap, Snort, group policy)
- Experience in a higher educational-based technology environment
- Experience in working in a large complex organization
- Network management experience is desirable
- The candidate demonstrates competence in the area of information security. This can be in the form of professional certificates or specific work experiences. These experiences should be detailed in a cover letter.
This is a full-time UUP position.
- For the first 10 working days, beginning Wednesday, February 20, 2019 and ending Tuesday, March 5, 2019 applications will be limited to UUP Farmingdale.
- CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Thursday, March 21, 2019
- Salary $65,000/year, may increase commensurate with experience
The State University of New York offers excellent fringe benefits including health insurance options and retirement plans
VISA SPONSORSHIP IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION
The Consumer Information web page can be viewed at the following link
This page describes various services, information and statistics on many different aspects of the College's operations.
Farmingdale State College seeks a broad and diverse pool of candidates for this position. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status or any other legally protected status.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested candidates may apply and submit the required documents listed below by clicking on the "Apply Now" link at the bottom of this page. We require the following documents:
Only applications submitted online will be considered, no phone calls please.