Are you searching for meaningful work in Information Assurance and Security of Classified Networks?
Are you passionate about Information Systems Security?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join us at APL.
We are seeking an Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) to join a close-knit prototyping team dedicated to developing capabilities that enable warfighters to harness a diverse set of sensors and data sources to accomplish a variety of missions important to our nation's defense. You will lead IS security oversight and management of our classified networks in support of Government Sponsor Program requirements. You will work on a classified network consisting of high performance servers supporting software development as well as testbenches consisting of servers, experimental hardware, and sensor systems that mimic prototype systems deployed aboard surveillance aircraft and at ground control stations.
As an ISSO ...
- Your primary area of responsibility will be providing information assurance for complex cross-platform classified networks to include both physical and virtual computing environments
- Execute security requirements as defined by the DSS Assessment and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM), National Industrial Security Program Operations Manual (NISPOM), and related Government directives
- Maintain the IS accreditation package under Risk Management Framework (RMF) to include the System Security Plan (SSP), artifacts, Security Operating Procedures (SOP’s), Plan of Actions and Milestones (POAM), and additional attachments as required. Author new documentation based upon changes in requirements and/or technology
- Conduct security vulnerability assessments and continuous monitoring of networked clients, switches, and related network devices
- Perform system security audits, hardware and software configuration management, account management, removable media audits and associated reporting
- Collaborate with a team of network and system engineers in the development of technical solutions to ensure the protection of computer systems and networks
- Utilize a variety of security related and auditing tools such as SCAP Compliance Checker, STIG viewer, Symantec Endpoint protection, Splunk/Assuria, and monitoring tools such as ACAS
- Utilize Data Loss Prevention tools such as Avanti, Digital Guardian, Device Lock, or related
- Be the main point of contact with APL's Classified Information Security Systems Office. Be the lead for in-house and DSS security compliance inspections of our systems
- Serve as an active member of the Configuration Control Board
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have ...
- A BS degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Three or more years of Linux Systems Administration experience
- Been an ISSM, AISSM, ISSO, or AISSO for at least 3 years
- Experience with security related tools – DISA STIGs/STIG Viewer and SCAP
- Experience with audit log reduction tools such as Splunk or Assuria
- An understanding of computer operating systems, hardware, and software
- Familiarity with and ability to develop SPP’s, POAM’s, SOP’s and supporting Authorization and Accreditation documentation
- Current DoD 8570 IAT Level II Certification (e.g. Security+ CE) or greater
- Currently or upon hire, completion of DSS STEPP RMF certification and related CDSE training
- Good interpersonal and documentation skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment
- An active Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- A willingness to work in closed areas
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- An MS degree Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Been an ISSM, AISSM, or ISSO for 5+ years
- 7+ years experience in Linux System Administration
- Experience with Solaris, IRIX, or Windows
- Worked with VMware and Virtual Environments
- Done some programming and or scripting
- Top Secret level security clearance.
- Demonstrated an ability to maintain a high level of security awareness among IT users.
- Ability to meet aggressive objectives, set priorities to meet customer requirements, and use excellent judgment
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.