Business Development Representative
Elk Grove Location
Steiner Electric is a family-owned company founded in 1916. Steiner Electric is the 35th largest electrical supply business in the country, with eight locations in Northern Illinois, Northwest Indiana and Southeast Wisconsin. We represent many of leading manufacturers in the industry. With a team of 475 employees, we service customers with standard electrical and industrial supplies and represent automation products, motors and drives, energy management, field service and custom products. Steiner is a close family culture with a strong commitment to customer service, values, integrity and community service.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO), 401K and profit sharing.
We are looking for positive, ambitious, outgoing individuals with impeccable people skills to be part of a growth oriented Team.
The primary responsibility of the Business Development Representative is to perform sales and service duties that will meet or exceed customer requirements.
Essential Position Functions:
- Make outbound telephone sales calls to an existing customer base, house accounts, and potential new customers to support Steiner�s products and services.
- Growing new business by qualifying prospective accounts for specific divisions or sales initiatives and market Steiner respectively.
- Use a CRM database, such as Tour de Force to track data, manage, and analyze customer accounts.
- Communicate with customers regarding requirements. This may be done via telephone, fax, mail, e-mail, or online ordering system.
- Provide technical information and pricing as needed to customers to help determine the best products for their application. This may be achieved through the use of vendor catalogs, vendor websites, vendor technical specialists, or Steiner specialists.
- Manage open customer orders. Take appropriate actions and communicate appropriately to satisfy the customer.
- Inform customers of specialty items such as non-stock items for direct shipment.
- Negotiate pricing with vendors to fulfill customer needs and to improve gross profit for Steiner along with SPA contracts.
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships.
- Support and promote specified vendors (example A-D) and product promotions.
- Enter orders in the most cost effective and profitable way, such as drop ship, customer pick up, or UPS carrier instead of our truck.
- Enter bids into the Steiner Eclipse system.
- Follow ISO procedures regarding section 300 Sales Order Entry and Contract Review. Take into consideration Steiner�s Lien rites to all contractor job orders. This may require open communication with credit department personnel.
- Interact with customers and vendors at Steiner/vendor sponsored events.
- Coordinate efforts with Customer Service/Returns to correct Steiner errors, such as entry mistakes, picking mistakes, delivery issues, and RGA requests in a quick efficient method. This may require the drafting of CSAs.
- Promote and discuss all Company events with customers.
- Offer suitable stock substitutes for non-stock products.
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office software, such as Word and Excel to obtain any pertinent information regarding customer request.
- Ability to utilize the internet to obtain any pertinent information regarding customer request.
- Participate in all training, including but, not limited to on site classes, off-site classes, and web-based training in order to keep up to date on product technology.
- Work politely and professionally with all Steiner divisions, teams and branches.
Education, Knowledge, Training, Experience, Licenses, Certification
- High school diploma or GED certification.
- Work experience with outbound telephone sales preferred.
- Knowledge of electrical wholesale industry preferred.
- Knowledge of the product lines Steiner represents preferred.
- Competent in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Competent in searching the internet and using a company intranet.
- Competent in application and use of an ordering system.
- Ability and willingness to access the necessary resources to meet customer requirements, resolve customer issues, and sell all of Steiner; such as product catalogs, vendor web sites, literature, product presentations, training, department peers, and other employees.
- Able to take telephone calls, transfer calls, park calls, leave voicemails, use the phone directory, create and update personal voicemail greeting, daily if necessary.
Steiner is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment. Steiner employs people without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
- 1. Travel to customer site may be needed to ensure maximum sale is achieved.