Maryville Academy has an opening for full-time Instructional Assistant�in our Jen School.
About Maryville Academy
For more than 134 years, Maryville has been committed to providing protection and guidance to children. As the world has changed, so have the needs of the families and children we serve. Maryville has adapted by focusing on our community�s most critical issues. Today, our range of programs includes residential care, mental health services, healthcare and family support services, as well as a variety of educational and youth development offerings. Maryville�s mission is to help children and families to reach their fullest potential by empowering intellectual, spiritual, moral and emotional growth.
About the Jen School
Jen School provides specialized academic and vocational opportunities for young men experiencing academic, emotional, behavioral or cognitive challenges that can potentially limit their life success. Students are served in uniquely designed classrooms to maximize effectiveness across the continuum of age and disability type.
About the Instructional Assistant�
To assist students individually or in small groups in meeting course expectations and improving academic and vocational skills.� Assist special education teachers by working with students to achieve state standards, IEP goals, and/or district graduation requirements. This work involves close interaction with staff, students, and parents/guardians, with primary emphasis on the implementation of specialized or vocational educational programs for each student. The Instructional Assistant works under the direction of the special education teacher.�
- Assisting students in reviewing and completing assignments during class time;
- Implementing classroom procedures and reinforcing student�s positive behavior;
- Administering tests orally to students in both resource and classroom settings;
- Reinforcing organizational and note taking skills;
- Grading materials for immediate feedback;
- Demonstrating use of the computer for drill and remediation as well as homework and classroom assignments;
- Demonstration and supervising use of the computer with IEP specified software programs that would support the completion of assignments for classes;
- Helping the student achieve his/her IEP goals;
- Implementing IEP accommodations as specified in individual IEP;
- Reviewing materials and providing immediate feedback, if specified in the IEP;
- Helping the student achieve his/her IEP goals by meeting benchmarks as scheduled;
- Helping organize and supervise off-campus and vocational programs for students;
- Actively participates and leads the classroom instruction in cooperation with certified staff;
- Actively mentors and facilitates classroom instruction delivered through cooperative work group model;
- Previewing instructional materials and developing instructional plans;
- Acting as a liaison to communicate student progress to students� parent/guardian;
- Offering suggestions to classroom teacher and case manager for appropriate accommodations and modifications of student IEP;
- Compiling data to be given to the case manager for writing a Behavior Intervention Plan;
- ���Participates and contributes to in-service trainings and staff development�opportunities and providing input and suggestions for future topics and�directions;
- Assisting and monitoring when student uses the restroom;
- Assisting and facilitating tutoring or one-on-one instructional time as required by student need;
- Assisting and or facilitating crisis management up to and including physical restraints when appropriate;
- Other duties as assigned.
- � �Must have current Paraprofessional designation in accordance with requirements specified on ISBE Form 73�95 (5/04);
- ���Bachelors Degree preferred. A minimum of 60 college credit hours required for Paraprofessional designation;
- � �A minimum of 1-2 years experience in residential or special education classroom/school setting, with experience in crisis intervention and must� � �have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess a valid Illinois School Bus Driver�s Permit / Driver�s license;
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with Jen School students, supervisors, coworkers, subordinates, support agencies, and a variety of internal as well as external consumers;
- Basic computer proficiency including working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of Maryville Academy / Maryville Jen School;
- Knowledge of Individualized Education Plan (IEP) eligibility, planning, instruction and service delivery processes;
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing work loads to meet deadlines;
- Skill in telephone etiquette.
- � �Required to frequently sit, stand, bend, stoop, walk and drive for extended periods; able to walk up and down stairs;
- ���Required to occasionally lift/move objects and/or youth weighing in excess of 40 pounds;
- ���Must possess the ability to provide physical restraint for students threatening to harm themselves or others;
- ���Must have the visual, hearing, and learning capabilities sufficient to perform the essential functions defined above;
- � �Must participate in physical education activities with the students and, if necessary physically interact (intervene) with students.
Environment and Scheduling:
- � �Work is performed during school and vocational program days and hours;
- ���Work is performed in and in association with the Maryville Jen School, hospital, and residential programs/settings as well as in� � �an�administrative office setting;
- � �Duties involve contact with students who may be verbally and physically threatening, aggressive, and suicidal and/or under the influence of� � � �drugs or alcohol.
Why Join the Maryville Family?
Maryville offers full-time Jen School Employees:
- PPO health insurance options
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- FSA and HSA
- Paid sick days
- After one year of service you will be eligible for long term disability and life insurance and tuition reimbursement.�
For more information about all of the services that Maryville provides, please visit our website atwww.maryvilleacademy.org.
Maryville Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.� No applicant for employment shall be discriminated against because of age, race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, veteran status or disability.