Instructional Coaching Vision
Beta Academy is dedicated to creating a learning environment that is engaging, joyful, and dynamic for both scholars and teachers. In our commitment to foster both strong academic achievement and the Beta culture of excellence, we have developed an instructional coaching program to support teachers in building these classrooms. Coaches model the rigorous bar that Beta expects. They work collaboratively with teachers to support and challenge them by sharpening their skill set. Coaches use team building strategies such as co-planning, role-playing, reflective questioning, consistent and immediate feedback, and real-time coaching to offer differentiated and authentic professional development to all teachers.
Three Core Beliefs
We believe that Beta teachers are the best and the best teachers never stop learning and growing.
We believe that coaching feedback should always be kind, be specific, and be helpful.
We believe that coaches are pillars holding up high expectations and a standard of excellence.
Develop a Culture of Community
- Create a sense of community among the coach’s team
- Assist team in co-planning and thought sharing
- Act as school liaison within coaching groups (helping to problem-solve, etc.)
- Promote and maintain a positive and effective school climate by ensuring that all interactions with staff, scholars, parents, and the public at large are prompt, efficient, helpful and friendly
- Establish and maintain professional and cooperative working relationships with all stakeholders: parents, scholars, staff, neighbors, and partners
Implement Coaching Cycle
- Practice and/or Observe:
- Prior to Step 1, Coaches should pre-plan using the three-step coaching process, (1) plan the coaching, (2) rehearse the plan, and (3) revise it to make certain the practice will be perfect.
- Pre-Observation Meeting with Coachee (schedule aide to cover the teacher’s class)
- Formal Observation: Provide monthly classroom observations utilizing the “Teacher Observation Rubric”
- Informal Observation: Provide weekly “Glow and Grow” observations for all team members and submit a copy to Supervisors
- Document important feedback meetings by using the Coach Feedback Agenda (Resource: Coaching Framework)
- Schedule feedback meetings within 48 hours for all observations done
- Do Over; Possibly Multiple Times
- Provide planned time to practice with team members (planning practice)
- Model and assist teachers with campus instructional teaching methods
- Post-Meeting: Celebrate upgrades! Have a discussion about what went well, and how to keep the improvement ongoing. Also, discuss what could have been better if applicable. Ask: How can I better support you?
Management & Organization
- Spot check scholar folders every nine weeks for accuracy
- Spot check report cards grades twice every nine weeks for accuracy
- Ensure team report cards are accurate before going to print
- Attend regular coaching meetings and tag-ins
- Work with and assist faculty in the development of effective classroom discipline and organization
- Increase scholar achievement campus wide
- Meet the coach academic goals: 100% of teachers performing below the campus target will make 10% gains every nine weeks.
- Ensure all Coachee’s meet their campus goal: 86% of scholars are on grade level target and 50% of scholars are above grade level target.
- Monitor effectiveness of interventions for struggling scholars by coachees through the RTI process established by the district
- Pursue the vision and execute the mission of the school
- Recognize problems and assist with constructive resolutions
- Ensure a professional and college preparatory climate across the campus
- Develop and supervise mentoring opportunities within the school
- Provide leadership in supporting the continuous campus improvement processes
- Assist in the development of ongoing coaching program
- Ensure a safe and clean environment for learning
- Enforce board policy, school guidelines, and administrative directives
- Read and uphold the Procedures Manual, Employee Handbook, Scholar Handbook and Scholar Code of Conduct, and Teacher Commitment to Excellence
- Support teachers to ensure the campus maintains > 97% daily attendance and timelines
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal
- Develop leaders on team by reading with team members, listen to podcast and meet regularly as a group for leadership professional development
- Read leadership literature provided by the school
- Listen to all assigned podcasts
- Receive and implement feedback from direct supervisor
- Seek out and participate in educational/professional development and encourage such developments for staff