The Instructional Designer will support the build out of Millennium University training content and materials by identifying, packaging and deploying content for optimum delivery on behalf of Millennium's various audience groups. Formal learning and development content is used in a blended approach, involving eLearning, mobile training, virtual training, and classroom training. Informal learning and development includes "just in time" decision support and the ability for Subject Matter Experts to create and deploy content via methods such as social media formats and video.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Establish and ensure adherence to Millennium University learning and development standards
- Under direction of departmental leadership, create standard templates for content delivery
- (e.g., training documents, delivery materials)
- Create and test structures to deploy content on various platforms/channels
(e.g., Learning Management System, Intranet, mobile devices)
- Create standard operating procedures regarding the use of various platforms
- Create content inventory and adhere to taxonomy for identifying and tagging content
within Learning Management System (LMS)
- Keep up to date on learning tools, trends, and ideas
- Write and edit text to communicate availability of training courses and materials
Create and package training and educational content for platforms and various learning modalities
(e.g., classroom, webinar, eLearning, simulations)
- Collaborate with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to identify content for new initiatives,
and to remediate current issues and improve workflows
- Translate Millennium's protocols, procedures and policies into simple and well-structured
decision support materials, newsletters and formal training formats (e.g., instructor-led, virtual, eLearning, video, simulation) according to adult learning and instructional design best practices
- Design quizzes and meaningful course interactions to increase learning and retention
- Collaborate with SMEs to maintain and update content to keep current
Assist in aligning all necessary content to support new hire orientation and onboarding
Identify, acquire and maintain external training and educational content
- Research and recommend vendors for third party content
- Maintain vendor content
- Performs other job-related duties as require
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Adaptability Maintaining effectiveness in varying environments and with different tasks, responsibilities, and people.
Analysis/Problem Assessment Securing relevant information and identifying key issues and relationships from a base of information; relating and comparing data from different sources; identifying cause-effect relationships.
Communication - Expressing ideas effectively in individual and group situations (including nonverbal communication); adjusting language or terminology to the characteristics and needs of the audience. Good listening skills.
Compassion - The responsibility to put a patient's or person's interests first, including the duty not to harm, deliver proper care, and maintain confidentiality.
Compliance - Employee has satisfactory completed employers required compliance training.
Employee is able to demonstrate an understanding of employers Code of Conduct.
Dependability - Meets commitments, deliverables, deadlines, work independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, and meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
Follow-up - Establishing procedures to monitor the results of delegations, assignments, or projects; taking into consideration the skills, knowledge, and experience of the assigned individual and characteristics of the assignment or project.
Initiative - Making active attempts to influence events to achieve goals; self-starting rather than accepting passively; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive. Practices self-development.
Integrity - Maintaining and promoting social, ethical, and organizational norms is conducting internal and external business activities.
Judgement/ Problem Solving - Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others.
Patient Service Orientation - Proactively developing patient/customer relations by making efforts to listen and understand the customer and their needs (both internal and external); anticipating and providing solutions to customer needs; giving high priority to patient/customer satisfaction. Ensures appropriate follow up and is their advocate in determining solutions. The employee uses a variety of communication techniques to effectively express thoughts and ideas and to understand or influence.
Practical Learning - Assimilating and applying, in a timely manner, new job-related information that may vary in complexity.
Quality Orientation/ Attention to detail - Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality problems.
Results Driven& Execution - Accountable for meeting or exceeding individual and/or department goals and objectives. Committed to producing results that will achieve company objectives. Sets priorities and organizes time to meet or exceed goals, follows up, and takes personal responsibility for results whether they are positive or negative. Team work/ Collaboration - Working effectively with team/work group or those outside formal line of authority (e.g., peers, senior managers) to accomplish organizational goals; taking actions that respect the needs and contributions of others; contributing to and accepting the consensus; subordinating own objectives to the objectives of the organization or team. Listens to others and values opinions.
Technological /Professional knowledge - Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skills/knowledge in job-related areas; keeping abreast of current developments and trends in area of expertise.
Work Standards - Setting high goals or standards of performance for self, direct reports, others, and the organization; being dissatisfied with average performance; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed by others.
QualificationsTo perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree in training and development, organizational design, organizational development, human resources, psychology, business/technical writing, communications, literature or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years in the instructional design function.
- Two or more years solid experience in delivering training.
- Strong written and verbal English grammar, spelling, punctuation, usage & pronunciation.
- Knowledge & application of adult learning principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills in both client interactions and team interactions and a willingness to interact with Subject Matter Experts on a regular basis.
- Strong knowledge of learning and development technologies and content management.
- Critical thinking skills to develop or assess materials that will help employees understand the subjects being taught and understand the needs of the employees and judge what will work.
- Problem solving and decision making skills to determine the best programs to train employees and meet the needs of the organization.
- Analytical and creative problem solving skills.
- Must have strong time management skills as well as be an effective multi-tasker.
- Experience in basic eLearning authoring tools (e.g., Captivate, Articulate)
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate basic mathematical computations as may be required by position.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software; Microsoft Word Processing software, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook and ADP Payroll systems. Knowledge of Computers, Fax, Portals, Uploading, Downloading etc.
Microsoft Word: basic text formatting functions, tables, bullets and numbering, hanging indents, inserting graphics, tracking changes, accepting comments and changes.
Microsoft PowerPoint: basic text formatting, tables, master layouts, text and title placeholders, entering slide notes; ability to use graphic design features to create screen layouts.
Ability to maintain & access files in an organized fashion on local hard drive, network drive and Learning Management System (LMS).
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Physical DemandsThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work EnvironmentThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate depending on business activity of the office.0