Instructional Specialist - Elementary Mathematics
Grade Level/Terms of Employment:
Grade 123 / 12 Month (260 days) Contract
Curriculum & Instruction
Coordinator for Teaching and Learning, Mathematics
The Instructional Specialist for Mathematics K-5 provides leadership to Richmond Public Schools (RPS) efforts to advance mathematics achievement for all students at the elementary level. The Instructional Specialist for Mathematics K-5 assists in developing, reviewing, and revising curriculum and assessments aligned to the Virginia Standards of Learning. The position supports teachers and administrators through professional development, coaching, and providing appropriately aligned resources to foster student academic success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors the instructional program for elementary mathematics and provides ongoing support to help teachers improve performance and achieve objectives;
- Supports teachers in ensuring the alignment of their lesson plans and instruction to the appropriate Virginia Standards of Learning and the Curriculum Framework;
- Stays abreast of the latest elementary mathematics program trends and methodology;
- Coordinates division-wide professional development, classroom embedded professional development, and topic-specific training sessions for elementary mathematics teachers;
- Supervises the development, implementation, and coordination of curriculum and programs in the area of mathematics from kindergarten to 5th grade;
- Assists in establishing departmental curriculum objectives and implements a plan for the accomplishment of the objectives;
- Works with new teachers to ensure they have materials and competencies necessary for success;
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring resources and books are ordered appropriately and distributed to schools in a timely manner;
- Observes classroom mathematics instruction regularly and provides follow-up consultation and written, non-evaluative feedback to teachers and administrators;
- Assists in the collection, review, and submission of all required information for state and federal reporting;
- Maintains a working relationship with community stakeholders;
- Stays informed regarding educational innovations and trends and implements new strategies appropriate for the division’s student population based on data;
- Coordinates the gathering, selecting, and analysis of data with respect to the program area;
- Assists in the preparation of the annual mathematics program evaluations and budgets as required;
- Maintains clear and accurate budget expenditures in compliance with current division financial accounting procedures and procurement guidelines;
- Ensures that budget is expended appropriately and funds are used for their intended purposes;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Postgraduate Professional License at the appropriate grade level spans;
- Mathematics Specialist endorsement is preferred;
- Recent successful experience as a supervisor, coach or teacher of mathematics;
- Minimum of three years of teaching mathematics at the elementary level.
- Deep understanding of the progression of the knowledge, skills, and processes of education as defined in the Virginia Standards of Learning, specifically for elementary mathematics;
- Deep understanding of what high-quality elementary mathematics instruction entails, including what rigorous elementary mathematics instruction includes;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Virginia's Standards for the Professional Practice of Teachers;
- Demonstrated ability to lead adults to a change in instruction at a system-level, including an understanding of how to translate one’s expertise into high-quality mathematics instruction across the division;
- Ability to lead and coach adults towards improved mathematics instruction and student outcomes;
- Must have the ability to coach teachers in meeting the diverse needs of students, including the ability to diagnose and respond to learning gaps through differentiated instruction;
- Ability to analyze data at multiple levels and be able to help school leaders and teachers use these data to improve instruction and ultimately increase academic performance;
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of child growth and development, large and small group instructional strategies, and the theory and pedagogy related to elementary mathematics instruction;
- Ability to develop, monitor, and manage academic initiatives to achieve established goals and objectives;
- Ability to work in a cooperative manner with a variety of groups, including division-staff, school principals and teachers.
HOW TO APPLY: All applicants (including RCPS employees) must submit an on-line application. Please access website at: www.rvaschools.net.
Please upload the following information with your application: a current resume, transcript and license if applicable. Also, when completing your application, include three email addresses of your professional references and/or upload letters of references. A combination of professional reference email addresses and letters are accepted. Richmond Public Schools will conduct a background investigation, fingerprinting, tuberculosis screening and drug/alcohol testing as a condition of employment. EOE.