University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine – Department of Medicine – Division of Medical Oncology
Faculty Advanced Practice Provider (APP) Position
Instructor/Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
UCHealth Cancer Clinics
Position 00770646 – Requisition Number 18680
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Now available! Applications are sought for a 1.0 FTE full-time faculty clinical position with benefits Instructor/NP or PA, working within the University of Colorado Cancer Center Gastrointestinal/Phase I (GI-Phase I) Oncology Clinic andManages the health care of patients at the University of Colorado Cancer Center Clinical Assessment and Rapid Evaluation (CARE) and Survivorship clinics. The position is offered through the (Department of Medicine) Division of Medical Oncology located at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado. The position will not be involved in course instruction and is not eligible for tenure.
Candidates should have a strong professional background in oncology. The APP position is responsible for identifying, assessing, planning and coordinating services for oncology patients. The Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant will be an active participant in clinical work seeing patients daily in Oncology clinics, as well as overseeing a chemotherapy infusion area. The APP will provide in-office and telephone support for oncology patients and their families. As part of this position, additional training as needed in active symptom management, palliative care, and clinical trials conduct will be provided. A 1.0 FTE position includes 40 hours per work week. However, hours and coverage responsibilities may be expanded in the future and distributed based on clinic needs. Work Location: UCHealth Cancer Clinic, located at 1665 Aurora Court, Aurora, CO 80045.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center within a matrix organization consisting of 14 institutions including the University of Colorado, University of Colorado Hospital, the Denver Veterans Administration Hospital. It is within the top 20 Cancer Centers in the United States per national rankings.
Clinical Job Responsibilities:
This full-time faculty APP position is responsible for identifying, assessing, planning and coordination services for oncology patients in the UCHealth Cancer Center (Phase I-GI), Aurora, thus fostering quality, continuity and appropriate utilization of healthcare resources throughout the continuum of care. Manages the health care of patients at the University of Colorado Cancer Center Clinical Assessment and Rapid Evaluation (CARE) and Survivorship clinic supervision may be exercised as required for patient care.
Working Title: Oncology Instructor/Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant, Clinical Cancer Center, GI-Phase I Clinic.
Working Conditions: The position requires 100% effort working within the University of Colorado Cancer Clinics. Note: The NP or PA works in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary health care team. Role model professionalism through conduct, appearance, communication, mutual respect, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Job specific clinical duties include:
- Manages the health care of patients at the University of Colorado Cancer Center GI-Phase I Clinic. This will include coordination of patient care (as necessary) with available hospital resources.
Performs a comprehensive patient health assessment, including health history, physical exams, preventive screening. Identifies medical health risks and needs.
Performs scheduled study-related visits, study screenings, and toxicity assessments of patients on phase I-II-III clinical trials.
Formulates the appropriate differential diagnoses based on clinical evaluation.
Performs, orders and/or interprets diagnostic studies within scope of practice and clinical area of practice within the Cancer Center.
Performs advanced technical procedures within the scope of clinical practice for these programs as well as other programs requesting procedures, according to schedule.
Plans and implements therapeutic regimens that include both nursing and medical management strategies, including prescription of patient medications/devices.
Establishes systematic follow-up for evaluation of the plan of care and reassesses and modifies the plan, as necessary, including initiation of referrals and consultation with physicians and other health care providers as appropriate.
Assures patient and family teaching is adequate to manage the illness or wellness plan at home.
Facilitates client participation and promotes self-care by providing information needed to make decisions and choices.
Facilitates appropriate utilization of the medical system in a cost effective manner without jeopardizing quality of care and service. May be involved in management of critical pathway and case management across the continuum of care as indicated.
Participates as a team member in providing healthcare, effectively interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care as a responsible clinic professional.
Assists others as necessary, always using time constructively.
Uses computer system(s)appropriately. Obtains necessary training prior to initial equipment use.
Maintains accurate, legible, and confidential medical records. Charting must be current and up to date to ensure communication of patient needs/progress/therapy between healthcare providers.
Complies with incident reporting and notification requirements.
Applies organizational policies, regulations and procedures in administration of patient care.
Participates in applicable training on systems as required.
Day shift with evenings, weekends, and holiday rotation, shared among clinicians. For finalist hired, Allied Health credentialing thru UCHealth Medical Staff Office is required.
- Education and Certification must be congruent with population focus of the Oncology APP position.
- Graduate of an accredited training program
- Licensed in Colorado or eligible for licensure.
- Strong professional background in Oncology with at least 1 year of professional fulltime working experience. Please state work history facts to support facility specific clinical experience
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing with a Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, Master's Degree in Nursing and/or a graduate of an Accredited Physician Assistant School is required; AND Board-Certified as a Nurse Practitioner/or as a Physician Assistant by a national professional organization.
- Current license to practice as an Advanced Practice Nurse/Physician Assistant with prescriptive privileges in Colorado. Meets and maintains the requirements of the nursing requirements of the nursing credential review board for the advance practice nurse/physician assistant.
Current license to practice as a nurse practitioner or as a physician assistant in the State of Colorado, USA.
Prescriptive authority as appropriate, per medical staff privileging process.
Must be Board-certified as a Physician Assistant and/or Nurse Practitioner.
- Strong professional background in Oncology and/or Hematology with at least 2 years of professional full-time working experience. Please state work history facts to support facility-specific clinical experience.
Prior Oncology experience with Clinical Trials.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) is preferred.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certified.
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 18680
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- A copy of all current licenses and certifications
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for 3-5 professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.