Overview: Axiom Space isan emerging leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research &manufacturing services. Guided by the fundamental conviction that human spaceflightanswers a timeless calling to explore, innovate, cooperate and progress, Axiomstrives to make living and working in space commonplace by providingunprecedented access today to the International Space Station whilebuilding its successor: the world’s first international commercial spacestation.
Summary: The IntellectualProperty Associate will lead the creation and development of Axiom’s patentportfolio and intellectual property. Responsibilities will include developingstrategies and creating and implementing processes regarding patent protectionand intellectual property, as well as supporting the legal team in themanagement of commercial and government contracts related to the licensing anddevelopment of intellectual property. Must work and interact effectively andprofessionally with and for others throughout various levels of theorganization with minimal supervision.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Advise business development and manufacturing teams regardingIP risks and IP aspects of contracts of all kinds.
· Think strategically in developing US and internationalpatent portfolios, including managing complex issues of significant financialand legal risk to the company.
· Provide level expertise in IP law, with particularattention to government data rights and commercial licensing issues.
· Collaborate with inventors and evaluate technicalinnovations for patentability, including conducting brainstorming sessions forthe purpose of capturing IP.
· Draft, negotiate and review a variety of commercialsupplier, service, and technology agreements in support of multiple businessunits.
· Support continuous improvement of contract templates,processes, software, workflow, and internal policies.
· Ability to draft and review, and suggest improvementsto labor and employment, immigration and other related policies, procedures andguidelines a plus.
· Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitiveinformation.
Education & Experience
· Juris Doctorate required from an ABA-Approved LawSchool including bar registration in Texas or California; and
· 4-7 years of intellectual property licensing andpatent drafting experience in a law firm and/or an in-house legal department
· Bachelor's degree in an Engineering field, aerospaceand mechanical engineering highly preferred
· Experience with software and information technologypolicies and agreements a plus.
Skills & Competencies
· Must be organized and be able to manage large volumesof contracts in a fast-paced environment;
· Ability to read, analyze, interpret, create, andexecute complex written documents; and
· Ability to understand and apply advanced legal andregulatory concepts.
**This person working closely with both our ITdepartment, our R&M department, and regarding both IP and OCI with allAxiom departments, with the following prior experience, not required butconsidered a plus: HR, Contracts Administration, RFP Management, ExportControl, Corporate and Board Matters
Language Skills: Ability to read,analyze, and interpret legal documents including contracts, terms andconditions, legal decisions, and professional journals. Ability to writereports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectivelypresent information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients,customers, and the general public.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to defineproblems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability tointerpret an extensive variety of contracts and agreements and focus on detailsunder time constraints. Exhibitsapplication of responsible judgment, including for safety as well as for theplanning and execution of projects.
Competencies: To perform the jobsuccessfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverseinformation; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience tocomplement data; and designs workflows and procedures.
· Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughtsverbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listeningand comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; and selects and usesappropriate communication methods.
· Continuous Learning - Assesses own strengths andweaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training anddevelopment opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; andshares expertise with others.
· Cooperation - Establishes and maintains effectiverelations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support toco-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; and works actively toresolve conflicts.
· Organizational Support - Follows policies andprocedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supportsorganization's goals and values; benefits organization through volunteeredefforts; follows organizational guidelines for affirmative action, diversity,and expected workplace behaviors; and manages competing priorities in afast-paced environment.
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems ina timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; developsalternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations, and usesreason even when dealing with emotional topics.
· Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness;looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improveperformance; and monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Teamwork - Balances team and individualresponsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives andwelcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts the successof the team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments togoals and objectives; and supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
AxiomSpace is considered an essential employer under the U.S. Department of HomelandSecurity’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency. Unless areasonable accommodation is required due to a disability, all new hires will berequired to work on-site.