Company OverviewFMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural technologies. FMC provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to enhance crop yield and quality by controlling a broad spectrum of insects, weeds and disease, as well as in non-agricultural markets for pest control. FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC. With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster “The Right Chemistry” in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
See Yourself in FMC, Be Yourself in FMC
At FMC, we strive to be an inclusive workplace where our employees reflect the community, are valued, find purpose in their work, and grow and contribute to their fullest potential.
The Law Department is seeking a driven, team player to support the attorneys in the acquisition, maintenance, defense and enforcement of FMC’s Intellectual Property rights. Responsibilities broadly relate to FMC’s Intellectual Property and include but will not be limited to (i) working with FMC attorneys and external counsel developing and maintaining FMC’s worldwide trademark portfolio, (ii) submitting documents to the USPTO and WIPO, and (iii) working with a cross functional team maintaining FMC’s Intellectual Property. This person will also be required to assist in other projects as needed. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Legal Operations Manager. The ideal candidate should;
- Be able to marshal resources in an environment with changing priorities
- Be able to orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal while maintaining composure
- Be interested in continuous learning and training
- Be interested in gaining knowledge of the business and technology of FMC
- Be able to quickly review and comment on proper trademark usage
- Be able to form a law and fact-based recommendation on international trademark issues
- Be able to apply a working understanding of substantive areas of law relating to US and international Intellectual Property and contract law as it applies to Intellectual Property
- Have experience preparing and filing documents in the USPTO and with WIPO
- Have experience with Intellectual Property transfers
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills.
The position requires a candidate who is motivated, creative and result oriented, and able to independently follow through to task or project completion. This work requires exercising considerable independent judgment and initiative, while taking cross-functional interests into account, to execute at the required level.
Provide comprehensive trademark support to FMC businesses directly and in collaboration with FMC IP attorneys worldwide and external counsel. This may include but is not limited to:
- Conducting preliminary trademark searches.
- Reviewing comprehensive international trademark searches to draft advice for attorney review.
- Obtaining trademark and business information to instruct global external counsel worldwide.
- Reviewing third party watch notices and preparing draft advice for attorney review.
- Preparing and filing trademark applications, oppositions, and other documents.
- Managing FMC’s trademark maintenance and renewal process.
- Assisting with the development of trademark budgets and management of costs.
- Supporting Intellectual Property transfers worldwide, including but not limited to due diligence of FMC or third-party Intellectual Property, as well as effectuating the recordation of Intellectual Property transfers worldwide.
- Maintaining FMC’s Intellectual Property databases.
- Conducting legal research, fact gathering and drafting documents for attorney review.
- Supporting patent paralegal activities as needed and/or required
- Contributing to trademark proficiency of FMC IP paralegals.
- Acting as a back up to review advertising, marketing, sales, and other promotional materials for proper trademark use.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Paralegal Certification from an ABA approved institution required unless holding degree within legal studies
- More than 7 years paralegal experience performing intellectual property work in trademarks with a law firm or corporation
- Highly organized, detail oriented and able to follow through on assignments
- Solution and results oriented
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with business persons and with other departments to advance organizational goals
- Solid, demonstrated written and verbal communication skills and a detail orientation
- Excellent team and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain strict levels of confidentiality
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team
- Capacity to work well with employees across all departments
- Strong general computer skills, including intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office business software (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), SharePoint and Internet usage
- Demonstrated ability to educate clients on intellectual property law basics
At FMC, diversity and inclusion are in our DNA. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an inclusive workplace where all employees can thrive – regardless of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, color, age, religion or religious creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. FMC also supports employee participation in company employee resource groups that celebrate the diverse backgrounds of our workforce by providing communities for employees to connect with each other and raise awareness throughout FMC.
FMC complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact our Talent Acquisition department at firstname.lastname@example.org.