CannonDesign has an exciting opportunity for an Interior Designer in our Houston office. Take a look at the description below. If you think your skills and experience make you a good match for this position, we’d love to hear from you. We’re looking for creative, curious, empathetic people to join our Living-Centered Design movement.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
CannonDesign is an integrated Living-Centered Design firm. We leverage the heart, passion and diversity of our more than 1,000 creative thinkers to develop design solutions that solve challenges and seize opportunities. Whether designing for innovations in health, new scientific discoveries, equity in education, inclusive communities or the “next big idea” in business, we partner with organizations to help them improve human life. In 2019, Fast Company named us as a world changing company and one of the most innovative design firms in the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The successful candidate will participate in the development of interior design solutions in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team through all project phases; programming, schematic design, design development, construction documents and construction administration.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Participate and provide guidance in the planning effort to assure furniture layout is appropriate to the room proportions and functional assumptions
- Complete the specifications for all sections related to furniture, and update budgets as required
- Create furniture plans for assigned Project areas in a format compatible with the design team's documents. Furniture symbols used shall approximate the size of proposed items to be used in the Project.
- Proactively respond to construction related questions pertaining to furniture coordination.
- Responsible for training the planning coordinator and staff on the use of furniture.
- Research and make recommendations regarding use of furniture products, materials, and systems
- Assist with the documentation of a preliminary project budget and the budget assumptions related to furniture.
- Ability to lead and communicate with internal project team members as well as Owner team members.
- Assist with the generation of a furniture project timeline and how that timeline meshes with the interior design timeline; update as required.
- Ability to create presentations for User Groups and Owners.
ABOUT YOUR QUALIFICATIONS
- Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor in Interior Design, Architecture or Interior Architecture. Masters degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of related experience working on corporate/commercial interiors projects required.
- Previous experience with healthcare and/or higher education projects is preferred.
- NCIDQ certification or licensed architect candidates are preferred.
- In addition to strong design skills, strong technical skills and knowledge of ADA, building and life safety codes is required.
- Excellent communication skills are essential as well as proven exceptional graphic and compositional skills.
- Proficiency in Revit, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign) are required while capabilities of modeling/rendering (3D Vis, Vray, etc.) are encouraged.
- We are relentless in our pursuit of client adoration (not simply satisfaction). Consistent delivery of the best service is what we are about.
- We are committed to ensuring our practice is equitable for all employees, representative of the communities around us – and focused on the future of design We advocate for equity, diversity and inclusion efforts through the leadership of our Diversity + Inclusion Council, Women’s Forum, and other community advocacy initiatives.
- We’re about communication and transparency here. If you want to talk to someone about an idea you have, or a challenge that needs addressing, we’re ready for you.
- The NEXT Council is a group of dynamic, multi-faceted employees that collaborates closely with firm leadership. Together, council members act as a catalyst for our practice’s evolution – a think tank for innovation, improvement and growth.