Who we are:
Honesty, fairness, hard work, performance, and the love of construction. At Boldt, these are the values that drive us. They push us to be better every day. To provide the highest-quality service and greatest value to every project we are a part of. We are looking for forward thinking people who share in that dedication. An innovative spirit, results-oriented thinking, and a dedication to our values have helped us grow into one of the largest professional construction services firms in the United States.
As a member of the Boldt team, you will collaborate with some of the most knowledgeable professionals in our industry. You will have the chance to learn new skills and seek greater responsibilities, while earning competitive pay and benefits. And you will join a team that builds real value in the world around you.
How your role fits into Boldt:
Ready to thrive and begin to build an extraordinary career?! This internship or co-op is a project based, educational opportunity intended to prepare students to enter in one the following professions within the construction or pre-construction industry:
- Field Engineer/Project Engineer/Estimating/MEP/Safety/BIM
You will spend time learning about Boldt’s approach to gain real-world experience by accomplishing some of the same responsibilities as our full-time employees. Our on-the-job experience will help prepare you for a successful career after graduation.
We are hiring multiple internship and co-op opportunities in the following states for Fall 2020 - Summer 2021:
- Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illinois/Oklahoma/Michigan/California/Ohio/Washington DC/potentially other states based on project needs
What you get to do:
We offer a variety of construction internship types. Based on your professional career interests, skills, and experiences, you may qualify for one/or more of the following internship emphasis areas:
- Interpret design/drawings for crafts installing material. Prepare drawings and sketches to support construction work, change orders, estimates, etc. Coordinate work schedules with subcontractors too complete work on time. Verify all completed work stays in sync with applicable codes, drawings, specifications. Establish exterior/interior grade and working lines for contractors or crafts.
- Calculate various statistical data - quantity take-offs, material price lists, labor costs per man-hour, equipment, etc. Assist in the monitoring of conceptual estimates with actual cost data. Research historical data (purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis reports, etc.) and compile summary reports to develop guidelines and precedence for future estimates. Support developing project update and bid package estimate documents. Maintain files of working documents for back-up to estimating figures.
- Lead project earned value and progress reporting functions. Establish baseline plans and goals which the project will measure success. Communicate and influence desirable project results with project team. Actively report, manage, and communicate project financials. Communicate project financial and process plans and risks with team and client.
MEP (Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing)
- Execute site visits to inspect installations of MEP systems. Assist Project Managers with procuring MEP trade partners and equipment purchases. Conduct shop drawing reviews. Work with commissioning MEP systems and Focus on Energy applications. Create issues from commissioning report and assist PM’s with coordinating the close out of open issues.
- Assist in controlling hazardous working conditions and unsafe employee activities through interactions with project management/supervisory personnel. Accompany safety, health and insurance inspections on walk through tours as required. Document all accidents, safety violations, unsafe conditions/activities. Issue confined area entry and “hot work” permits as required. Assist in preparing written appeals for safety violation citations.
- Conduct work area surveillance inspections, air sampling tests for confined space entry, property, damage and personal injury investigations. Review safety related journals, catalogues, etc. to keep tabs on changes/improvements in protective safety equipment, materials and gear. Participate in developing and conducting staff and craft safety orientation training program. Assist in supervision and administration of safety/first aid and rescue squad activities.
- Utilize Bluebeam for markups, drawing comparisons, and constructability reviews. Use Navisworks model for navigation, section analysis, measuring, visualizations, clash detection. Utilize project Revit models for creation of supplemental plans, sections, dimensions, visualizations, takeoffs
What we expect from you:
- Currently enrolled at an accredited college or university as a Junior or Senior in an undergraduate program. Preferred majors/concentrations in Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, or related fields. Evidence of high academic achievement with current or prior elected leadership experience preferred. Passion and desire to work in the construction industry. Prior work experience, internship, or trade experience preferred, but not required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 and ability to work optimally with minimum supervision.
- Self-starter/resourceful/tech savvy/problem solver/critical thinking
- Quality of work/optimizes work processes/cultivates innovation
- Flexibility/adaptability to change/forward-thinking learner
- Productivity/time management/punctuality/dependability
- Values differences/collaboration/establishes relationships/effective communicator
Physical requirements and working conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to position objects and operate tools or controls, self to maneuver in confined or awkward spaces. Employee occasionally uses computer keyboard. This also may include ascending and/or descending on a ladder or stairs to reach work areas. The employee must regularly life up to 20 pounds and occasionally move up to 50 pounds. May be required to travel (as vehicle driver and as passenger on various modes of transportation) and frequently performs work on-site at construction work sites. Specific abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee views computer monitor regularly. This role is to be able to optimally communicate while on the job site and throughout the completion of duties. In addition, employee may remain in a stationary position and move to access people or machinery or workspaces.
The working conditions of this position requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to maintain safety and prevent exposure to harmful materials. The environment for which this position functions may be exposed to prolonged loud noises and may contain scents and fragrances. May be requested to work additional hours and weekends.
What we can offer you:
We are a multi- generational family owned, privately held organization. Along with encouraging a safe and robust team-based environment, we offer:
- A competitive wage and growth and challenging opportunities
- Housing and/or travel assistance (based on business need and location)
- Sponsored training opportunities, including working in a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Access to a coach/mentor
- Community engagement
- Co-op positions are eligible for some additional benefits.
The Boldt Company is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need an accommodation or other assistance during the application process, please contact our Human Resources department. All qualified applicants are reassured to apply.