We are a company that is always looking to grow and improve, firmly believing that we must invest in our future leaders. The internship program at Pacific Seafood is a fantastic opportunity to match the career goals of students with hands-on and meaningful experiences with a company’s operations. Over the years, our interns have been instrumental in bringing innovative ideas into our company and we have dedicated ourselves to fostering the talent and skills of our interns in return.
By developing a thorough understanding of Pacific Seafood, an internship position will provide you with insight into the seafood industry and develop leadership, presentation, communication, and project management skills.
As a Quality Assurance (QA) Intern, you will be responsible for monitoring product quality throughout the production process as well as addressing in-line decision that affects immediate product quality results. We are working to reduce the gradeout of our wild species items in production. As you work with our QA team, you will gain an understanding of HACCP systems and SQF certification, as well as Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures and food safety.
Founded in 1941 by the Dulcich family, Pacific Seafood is a family-owned and operated company dedicated to providing the healthiest protein on the planet. Pacific Seafood manages all parts of the supply chain from harvesting/fishing to processing, and distribution in order to provide customers with fresh, sustainable, high-quality products. Pacific Seafood Group is headquartered in Clackamas, OR. We employ more than 3,000 team members across 41 facilities in 11 states.
One of our missions is to provide products to meet all of our customers’ center of the plate protein needs including seafood, beef, pork, and poultry. We are dedicated to supporting our local communities, practicing sustainability through partnerships with NOAA Fisheries Science Centers and Policy Division, and championing stewardship of our natural resources and environment.
Start Date: May 27th to August 16th or June 24th to September 13th
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to the primary project listed above, duties include but not limited to:
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Seafood Group Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Teamwork and Excellence) at all times
- Learn about and monitoring Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures
- Learn about and monitoring food safety plans
- Support QA team daily, as needed
- Partner with team members to implement project and record results
- Prepare project overview and presentation for executive leadership
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to successfully perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree with a targeted graduation of May 2019 to June 2020
- Pursuit of a degree in Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, or Agricultural Science, or related field of study
- Must have experience simplifying complex information and presenting to diverse audiences
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Valid driver’s license
B. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Desired
- Entry-level knowledge, or better, of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to cross-functionally network, influence, and utilize internal and external resources
- Inquisitive, creative, and process orientated mindset
- Ability to travel as needed
Working Conditions: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the team member is exposed to:
- Work in cold, wet, and/or humid conditions
- Possible work in sub-freezing conditions
- Possible work in crowded office environment
- Possible work with fisheries products
- Possible use of hazardous utensils including knives and other equipment
Core Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies;
- Team Building – Inspires and fosters team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust; collaborates with team members on tasks and projects to accomplish group goals; facilitates cooperation to execute results.
- Continual Learning – Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses, then pursues self-development through mentorship and learning opportunities to address knowledge gaps; shows initiative in gaining new knowledge to excel at the job and carve paths to further opportunities.
- Communication – Practices interpersonal skills with coworkers and customers; presents information both orally and in written formats clearly and concisely; consistently practices active listening; shares questions and feedback with coworkers and supervisors.
- Adaptability – Is open to change and new information, as well as helps coworkers prepare for change; recovers quickly from unexpected obstacles and setbacks; has found ways to effectively handle pressure and stress.
- Accountability – Establishes clear goals and outcomes; timely follow up and follow through on commitments/agreements; monitors performance and commitments regularly; implements recovery plans and improvements to ensure goals and outcomes are achieved.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems through experience and gathering new knowledge; able to respond to problems by generating and evaluating alternative solutions; makes recommendations and revises solutions based on feedback.
To Apply: Please go to our website, www.pacseafood.com, then to the Careers/Jobs section to submit your information.
In addition to the online application, please submit the following documents:
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages addressing: (1) Your interest in the position and (2) how you meet the requested qualifications and skills of the position
- A current resume/CV
- Copies of unofficial transcript(s) from all postsecondary institutions attended
Pacific Seafood is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.