We are a company that is always looking to grow and improve, firmly believing that we must invest in our future leaders. The internship program at Pacific Seafood is a fantastic opportunity to match the career goals of students with hands-on and meaningful experiences with a company’s operations. Over the years, our interns have been instrumental in bringing innovative ideas into our company and we have dedicated ourselves to fostering the talent and skills of our interns in return.
By developing a thorough understanding of Pacific Seafood, an internship position will provide you with insight into the seafood industry and develop leadership, presentation, communication, and project management skills.
As a Shellfish Sales Intern, you will gain hands-on experience in developing material to support and develop our sales team at our headquarters in Clackamas, OR. As you learn the ins and outs of sales tracking, prospecting, and selling product categories to customers, you will be expected to analyze how we provide content to our customers to make recommendations for how we can improve and grow sales. Potential products include working on our customer spec packaging catalog, sampling orders, internal and external marketing, and customer assistance. Reports to: Shellfish Process Improvement.
Founded in 1941 by the Dulcich family, Pacific Seafood is a family-owned and operated company dedicated to providing the healthiest protein on the planet. Pacific Seafood manages all parts of the supply chain from harvesting/fishing to processing, and distribution in order to provide customers with fresh, sustainable, high-quality products. Pacific Seafood Group is headquartered in Clackamas, OR. We employ more than 3,000 team members across 41 facilities in 11 states.
One of our missions is to provide products to meet all of our customers’ center of the plate protein needs including seafood, beef, pork, and poultry. We are dedicated to supporting our local communities, practicing sustainability through partnerships with NOAA Fisheries Science Centers and Policy Division, and championing stewardship of our natural resources and environment.
Duration: May 27th through August 16th or June 24th through September 13th, 2019
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In addition to the primary project listed above, duties include but not limited to:
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Seafood Group Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Teamwork and Excellence) at all times
- Develop Shellfish Customer Spec Packaging Sheets and Catalog
- Assist with shellfish customer service including order entry, credits, and debits as needed
- Design shellfish marketing materials
- Organize sample orders for customer cuttings and sales blitzes
- Collaborate with PGT to build holiday deliver schedules to distribution centers
- Update and curate current Pacific Seafood shellfish website with current news and promotions
- Analyze data to provide suggestions for improvement
- Prepare project overview and presentation for executive leadership
- Perform additional duties as needed
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to successfully perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree with a targeted graduation of May 2019 to June 2020
- Must have experience simplifying complex information and presenting to diverse audiences
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Majoring in Aquaculture Studies, Agriculture Studies, Ag Economics, or Economics, or related field
- Valid driver’s license
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Desired
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills including Word and Excel
- Ability to cross-functionally network, influence, and utilize internal and external resources
- Analyze data and create recommendations based on data
- Enjoys collaborating
- Inquisitive, creative, and process orientated mindset
- Ability to travel as needed
Physical Requirements; The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the team member is: Constantly required to use close, distance, and peripheral vision with ability to judge depth perception and adjust focus.Regularly required to stand and sit; walk; reach with hands and arms; lift and/or move up to 20 pounds; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work in cold, wet, and/or humid conditions
- Work in office environment primarily, but will include visits to plants and farms
- Moderate noise level
Core Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Team Building – Inspires and fosters team commitment, spirit, pride, and trust; collaborates with team members on tasks and projects to accomplish group goals; facilitates cooperation to execute results.
Continual Learning – Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses, then pursues self-development through mentorship and learning opportunities to address knowledge gaps; shows initiative in gaining new knowledge to excel at the job and carve paths to further opportunities.
Communication – Practices interpersonal skills with coworkers and customers; presents information both orally and in written formats clearly and concisely; consistently practices active listening; shares questions and feedback with coworkers and supervisors.
Adaptability – Is open to change and new information, as well as helps coworkers prepare for change; recovers quickly from unexpected obstacles and setbacks; has found ways to effectively handle pressure and stress.
Accountability – Establishes clear goals and outcomes; timely follow up and follow through on commitments/agreements; monitors performance and commitments regularly; implements recovery plans and improvements to ensure goals and outcomes are achieved.
Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems through experience and gathering new knowledge; able to respond to problems by generating and evaluating alternative solutions; makes recommendations and revises solutions based on feedback.
To Apply: In addition to the online application, please submit the following documents:
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages addressing: (1) Your interest in the position and (2) how you meet the requested qualifications and skills of the position
- A current resume/CV
- Copies of unofficial transcript(s) from all postsecondary institutions attended
Pacific Seafood is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.