The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood biomass solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of wood pellets, which provide a low carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
Enviva is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland with operational headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina. The company owns and operates manufacturing facilities in Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. Each location is home to a team of experts dedicated to managing safety, quality, and reliability while ensuring a seamless supply of renewable products that exceed customers’ expectations around the globe.
At Enviva, we value our people, our forests, and our communities. Together, we serve our customers with the professionalism of a global leader and the entrepreneurial spirit of a company that is redefining the future of renewable energy today.
Join us—and join a team with purpose.
As a critical member of the Internal Audit Team, the Internal Audit Associate is responsible for assisting in the planning, executing, reporting and follow up activities for internal audits, including the assessment of internal controls over financial reporting within the organization.
Currently, the Internal Audit department’s focus is primarily on SOX compliance activities, but will, over time, expand into internal audits covering other areas of risk within the organization.
The Internal Audit Associate will work closely with the Internal Audit Director and Manager to identify gaps in current control processes and help the organization design new controls and control improvements. This position must have an understanding of internal controls and be able to coordinate and communicate effectively across the organization.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about both assurance and continuous improvement activities, and have a desire to build a career in internal audit.
Responsibilities will include the following activities, to be executed in close cooperation with the Internal Audit Director and Manager:
- Assist in the planning, executing and reporting on individual Internal Audits, including the annual SOX 404 assessment, to evaluate control design and effectiveness, compliance with Company policies, standards, applicable statutes and regulations, and overall operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Produce accurate, complete and well-organized work papers to provide to IA Management for review
- Assist with the development and updating of process flows, test procedures, risk and control matrices, and reporting
- Identify improvement opportunities and remediate risks associated with operations, financial reporting and regulatory reporting including reputational, compliance and fraud risks
- Oversee and track effective and timely remediation of identified control weaknesses; facilitate agreed-upon corrective actions for remediation with respective process owners
- Build strong working relationships with internal stakeholders; effectively communicate with all levels of staff, including plant employees, corporate employees and senior management
- Prepare Internal Audit reports which are clear, concise, identify root causes with practical solutions, and ultimately provide value to management
- Ensure that Internal Audit is performing its work in accordance with established professional standards
- Seek learning opportunities (e.g. CPE events) to continue professional development in the areas of SOX, Internal Audit, Enterprise Risk Management and related changes in risks, requirements, emerging issues and best practices
- Liaise with external auditors as needed
- Exhibit and promote high levels of ethics and integrity
- Other tasks as assigned
- B.A./B.S. in Accounting or Finance required
- Minimum of 2 years of professional work experience required in Accounting or related fields
- Internal audit or controls experience preferred
- Professional Certification such as CPA, CIA preferred, or the desire to obtain such certification
- Understanding of SOX 404, COSO, GAAP, and Internal Audit Standards, including auditing processes and methodologies
- Knowledge of IT General Controls a plus
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite products (ex. Excel, Visio, Word, PowerPoint)
- Organized with attention to detail and strong project management skills; must have ability to multi-task
- Good work ethic and positive attitude
- Motivated self-starter; comfortable working both in teams and independently, often in an unstructured environment
- Travel to operating plants and ports occasionally required