In this role, you will be part of a team responsible for monitoring the operational risks at Penn Mutual and its affiliates and continuing to advance Assurance’s data analytics and automation initiatives. In partnership with Risk Management, the business and the other assurance groups (Financial, Compliance, and Information Protection), our team provides assurance over risks and controls to meet the needs of our stakeholders. You will work with our team as well as associates from across the organization to understand the processes and be a key technical resource in helping align our focus to areas of highest risk. You will gain broad exposure to Penn Mutual and its subsidiaries, which include broker dealers, asset managers and other life insurance companies. The successful candidate will have strong technical skills, a passion for learning and a desire to develop and grow their comfort zone.
The Assurance Department supports The Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company and its affiliates by identifying risks to the operations of the company, and evaluating the potential for those risks to harm the company, our associates, our advisers or our policyholders. We conduct engagements across the organization to provide assurance to our stakeholders that Penn Mutual and its affiliates are operating in a manner consistent with our values, guiding principles and operational risk appetite.
- Utilize critical thinking, data gathering and problem solving skill sets to understand and assess business processes and operational risk focus areas throughout the organization in support of our corporate initiatives.
- Assist with the design and testing of business processes and controls with a focus on re-design and automation to improve efficiencies.
- Effective communication of issues identified, along with understanding impacts and solutions related to operational risk to assurance groups, business areas and management.
- Build effective relationships with team members, business partners and other assurance groups for execution of our aligned approach.
- Assist with the completion of assurance engagements in both Horsham and Philadelphia, PA.
- Perform and /or assist with other department initiatives as required.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong planning and organization skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with data extraction tools to design automated tests and perform data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships within a team and stakeholders.
- Strong written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills. Effectively interact and build relationships within the team and across the business with leaders and other associates.
- Demonstrates flexibility, adaptability, collegiality and team player orientation.
Experience, Education and Licenses
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance or Accounting required.
- Minimum two years of internal audit, and/or public accounting experience in financial services company(s) (investments, asset management, broker-dealer operations and/or life insurance).
- CIA, CPA or CISA a plus (one is required to be obtained within first two years of employment); other industry certifications to be determined as needed.
Salary Level = 19/20
All Associates Exemplify Our Penn Mutual Values:
Acting With Integrity—We have the conscious intention to do the right thing.
Respecting One Another—We see each other’s distinctiveness as a valued asset.
Focusing on Relationships—We foster meaningful connections with others.
Sustaining Our Legacy—We are trusted guardians for what we promise.
A Shared Sense of Belonging—We evoke our place as part of a world that we influence and influences us.
For Leadership roles within Penn Mutual, we believe the below characteristics are essential:
Execution Focused – “Gets it done” and drives progress and results towards strategic objectives.
Strategic – “Sees the big picture and challenges boundaries, takes risks and innovates to execute and advance Penn Mutual’s strategy.
Authentic – “Keeps it real” and is principled, transparent, trustworthy and accountable.
Decisive – “Makes the call” and demonstrates courage, confidence and a bias for action.
Empowering – “Develops people” and sets clear expectations, delegates effectively and encourages risk taking.
Influential – “Sets the tone” and inspires, motivates and persuades others through their decisions and actions.
Penn Mutual is an Equal Opportunity employer and, as such, is committed in policy and practice to recruit, hire, compensate, train and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran’s status, or genetic information. Opportunities throughout the company are available to Penn Mutual Associates and external candidates and are evaluated on the basis of position qualifications.
Leaders may, at their discretion, change the responsibilities in this position description at any time due to reasonable accommodation and/or other business reasons.
About the Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company
Penn Mutual is committed to helping people live life with confidence. At the heart of this purpose is the belief that life insurance is central to a sound financial plan. Through our network of trusted advisers, we are dedicated to helping individuals, families and businesses achieve their dreams. Penn Mutual supports its advisers with retirement and investment services through its wholly owned subsidiary Hornor, Townsend & Kent, LLC, member FINRA/SIPC. Visit Penn Mutual at www.pennmutual.com.