What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:As a member of the Internal Audit Team, you will coordinate reviews and assess the effectiveness of the organization's internal controls over operations and financial reporting. You must demonstrate a thorough understanding of the risks and controls of the organization and have comprehensive understanding of the audit methodology to carry out assigned audit procedures to contribute towards meeting the department’s goal and objectives and make judgments on matters with significant impact. You contribute to the overall success of the department and Markel by suggesting ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of audit processes. Requires proficient knowledge of IT concepts and ability to apply them in the audit process. Travel to business locations required when necessary.
- Manages multiple priorities and is able to complete assigned activities timely with minimal oversight.
- Assists in planning the audit scope, prepares the audit program, and determines the appropriate auditing procedures. Be able to determine the appropriate audit approach and sampling criteria based on professional judgment and defined process steps, including use of data mining and analysis techniques.
- Has a basic understanding of IT General Controls and is to complete defined audit program steps in this area.
- Identifies issues, deviations, and root causes and effectively communicates (both written and verbal) issues and proposes effective solutions to audit management and clients.
- Prepares and organizes work papers, documents conclusions, and prepares formal audit reports in accordance with established guidelines.
- Displays an enhanced understanding of the organization's risks, controls, and governance and effectively communicates concepts to enhance client understanding of control applications.
- Works collaboratively within the audit department and with audit clients to maintain a positive working relationship with all parties.
- Review staff auditor work and provide constructive feedback while sharing knowledge and expertise.
- Provides input and suggests improvements to audit department internal processes
- College degree in relevant field of studies
- CIA, CISA, CPA or equivalent certification preferred
- 3 – 5 years of related work experience. Experience in the insurance industry or financial services operations preferred.
- Must possess effective communication skills.
- Analyze processes and recommend alternatives to mitigate risks.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to manage small to medium sized projects.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.